• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

SCALES THEORY - Lesson 7 - Melodic minor scale modes

Andrew Milner

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    andreilucianmoraru.com
    So like, how many modes are there again?
    1. Topics of discussion
    2. Melodic minor scale modes
    1. Topics of discussion

In this tutorial, we are going to discuss melodic minor scale modes. So, let's have some fun.

Much like the previous tutorial where we learned that harmonic minor scales have modes, so do melodic minor scales have modes. There are still 7 since there are 7 notes. And we are going to talk about each of them here. We are going to look at the formulas for each scale and as usual, the formulas will be based on the major scale.

The first one is basically the melodic minor scale, which you may also find under the name of Jazz Melodic Minor, which has the following formula:

1 2 ♭3 4 5 6 7

Next up is the Dorian ♭2 scale, which is formed on the second note of the melodic minor scale, and has the following formula:

1 ♭2 ♭3 4 5 6 ♭7
    Let's move on to the Lydian augmented scale, which is formed on the third note of the melodic minor scale, and has the following formula:

1 2 3 #4 #5 6 7
    The next scale is the Lydian dominant scale, which is formed on the fourth note of the melodic minor scale and has the following formula:

1 2 3 #4 5 6 ♭7
    The fifth one is the Mixolydian ♭6 scale, which is formed on the 5th note of the melodic minor scale and has the following formula:

1 2 3 4 5 ♭6 ♭7

The sixth scale is the half-diminished scale, which is formed on the sixth note of the melodic minor scale and has the following formula:

1 2 ♭3 4 ♭5 ♭6 ♭7
    Finally, the seventh scale is the altered scale, which is formed on the 7th note of the scale and has the following formula:

1 ♭2 ♭3 ♭4 ♭5 ♭6 ♭7
    And with that, we conclude this tutorial. Next time, we are going to talk about pentatonic scales. See you then.

Anthony Peña

Hot Topic Tourer
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Denton, TX
    So like, how many modes are there again?
    1. Topics of discussion
    1. Topics of discussion

In this tutorial, we are going to discuss melodic minor scale modes. So, let's have some fun.

Much like the previous tutorial where we learned that harmonic minor scales have modes, so do melodic minor scales have modes. There are still 7 since there are 7 notes. And we are going to talk about each of them here. We are going to look at the formulas for each scale and as usual, the formulas will be based on the major scale.

The first one is basically the melodic minor scale, which you may also find under the name of Jazz Melodic Minor, which has the following formula:

1 2 ♭3 4 5 6 7

Next up is the Dorian ♭2 scale, which is formed on the second note of the melodic minor scale, and has the following formula:

1 ♭2 ♭3 4 5 6 ♭7
    Let's move on to the Lydian augmented scale, which is formed on the third note of the melodic minor scale, and has the following formula:

1 2 3 #4 #5 6 7
    The next scale is the Lydian dominant scale, which is formed on the fourth note of the melodic minor scale and has the following formula:

1 2 3 #4 5 6 ♭7
    The fifth one is the Mixolydian ♭6 scale, which is formed on the 5th note of the melodic minor scale and has the following formula:

1 2 3 4 5 ♭6 ♭7

The sixth scale is the half-diminished scale, which is formed on the sixth note of the melodic minor scale and has the following formula:

1 2 ♭3 4 ♭5 ♭6 ♭7
    Finally, the seventh scale is the altered scale, which is formed on the 7th note of the scale and has the following formula:

1 ♭2 ♭3 ♭4 ♭5 ♭6 ♭7
    And with that, we conclude this tutorial. Next time, we are going to talk about pentatonic scales. See you then.
    Would it be possible to get a tutorial explaining how we can use them? Or at least a suggestion of how to use them? I know that they can be applied in many ways, but I'd appreciate some jumping off points, if it's not too taxing to make a tutorial of.

Reactions: Andrew Milner

Andrew Milner

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    andreilucianmoraru.com
    Would it be possible to get a tutorial explaining how we can use them? Or at least a suggestion of how to use them? I know that they can be applied in many ways, but I'd appreciate some jumping off points, if it's not too taxing to make a tutorial of.

Huh, I knew I forgot something :LOL:. Here are some pointers:

- melodic minor scale: use over minor chords, min/maj7 chords
    - Dorian ♭2 scale: can be used ♭9sus4 chords
    - Lydian augmented scale (aka Lydian #5): can be used over maj7#5 chords
    - Lydian dominant scale (aka Lydian ♭7): can be used over dominant7(#11) chords
    - Mixolydian ♭6 scale: can be used over dominant 7(♭13) chords
    - half-diminished scale: can be used over m7(♭5) chords
    - altered scale: rarely used, but can be used over dominant chords to some extent

Anthony Peña

Hot Topic Tourer
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Denton, TX
    Huh, I knew I forgot something :LOL:. Here are some pointers:

- melodic minor scale: use over minor chords, min/maj7 chords
    - Dorian ♭2 scale: can be used ♭9sus4 chords
    - Lydian augmented scale (aka Lydian #5): can be used over maj7#5 chords
    - Lydian dominant scale (aka Lydian ♭7): can be used over dominant7(#11) chords
    - Mixolydian ♭6 scale: can be used over dominant 7(♭13) chords
    - half-diminished scale: can be used over m7(♭5) chords
    - altered scale: rarely used, but can be used over dominant chords to some extent
    It's all good 😂

This is really nice to have. I'll start getting them under my fingers, thanks man!

Reactions: Andrew Milner

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    c-melodic-minor-3nps.gif

The scale patterns in the 7 modes:

Synner Endless Summer Collection