• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Scales

Dismemberer

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Oct 16, 2021
I've been learn theory on synner.com and I have some questions about scales because that's mostly the main topic of the lessons I'm taking right now (CAGED system pt 1).
Now these questions are kinda stupid because I sometimes get distracted from the lesson and hate rewinding so now bear with me ;-:. So I wanted to know what's the use of scales in playing guitar? And how do you practice them? How do you figure out scales? In CAGED System pt 1 lessons we learn about the major and pentatonic scale of different chord shapes. What's the way of figuring out those scales like there could a formula or something?

T

TheRedMageGuitarist

I've been learn theory on synner.com and I have some questions about scales because that's mostly the main topic of the lessons I'm taking right now (CAGED system pt 1).
Now these questions are kinda stupid because I sometimes get distracted from the lesson and hate rewinding so now bear with me ;-:. So I wanted to know what's the use of scales in playing guitar? And how do you practice them? How do you figure out scales? In CAGED System pt 1 lessons we learn about the major and pentatonic scale of different chord shapes. What's the way of figuring out those scales like there could a formula or something?
If it wasn't 1am my time I'd totally write up a big essay response for you on this because THIS is a favorite topic of mine!
Tomorrow when I have more time, I'll gladly write up a thorough response! Great question for sure!

Reactions: Dismemberer
Upvote 0

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Singapore
www.instagram.com
In very basic terms - it's more of like a map - a guide - a reference point. When you're familiar with the paths & routes, shortcuts, etc., you won't be lost while playing, or fall on the 'wrong note' - for the lack of better word.

I've ever shared this on one of my IG guitar guides here.

I spoke about how you can possibly play, for example, the Sweet Child O'Mine riff in another part of the guitar, in another octave, etc., and you won't be considered wrong if you're saying that you're playing it in the same key as your reference, but if your reference is playing it like how Slash played it, then the rights and wrongs come in.

Not my best explanation, and I'm pretty sure @TheRedMageGuitarist & everyone else would be able to explain it better xD

Cheers! :rock-hand: :rock-hand:

Reactions: Ed Seith
Upvote 0

Forgetabull

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    So this may or may not be useful, however..
    • The cage system is a bit neato because it means you can use the same chord shape up and down the neck to do either the full chord or a partial chord. A couple of ones I can think of are if I use the C shape and I move it up two frets, there's a D major another one is if I use a D shape and move it five frets, I have a partial G chord (or G triad if you will). You can do this with the minor shapes as well. What this means is when i'm playing a chord, I can slide up/down to the next chord in a progression whilst using the same shape.. Makes for a much more interesting sound. Another thing you can do with it, which albiet I don't do much of, is being able to keep my hand in the one section of the neck and just go between chord shapes to play the different chords in a progression, this specific point is what's in Papa Gate's video.
    • With respect to uses scales.. I use this all the time for soloing/flavours/just something more interesting whilst I'm playing. Different scale shapes and positions make it easier to play certain licks and they will just sound good over your chord progression. A *really* simple example of this is if you are playing an E minor and slide the two fingers you have pressed down (fret 2 on A and D strings) up to the 7th fret, it sounds good because you're playing notes that are in the scale still. A minor is another example of this where you can slide the two lower fingers (fret 2 on the D and G strings) up to the 5th and 7th frets and it all sounds good because you're still within the a minor scale.
    • With repsect to learning scales.. um.. there will be better people than me to answer this, I have focussed on learning what the shape of the scale is and then where the root note (the main note of the scale) is. If we use the 1st pentatonic shape that we normally learn for A minor (starting on the low E string 5th fret), if you move the entire shape up two frets, that'd be a B minor scale, similarly if you moved it back two frets, it's a G minor scale. I think I'd be rehashing too much of Papa Gate's vids if I went more into it.

Reactions: William B.
    Upvote 0

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    The notes in a chord are some of the notes from the scale your using
    There are formulas on making/finding the scales and from what I remember they're all based off the Major Scale cause it's the basis
    They can be used as guides for your music among other things ( like if you get stuck while writing )
    If you move them around, scales, chords and such it'll change the names in most cases unless it's an octave
    There's a lot of information in the lessons and they're laid out well in a progressing manner.
    When I was doing those lessons ( still needing to go over them from time to time ) I was trying to focus learn it in sections.
    I don't put enough effort into studying consistently so I find myself looking back often

Hopefully this helped some, I keep thinking of things to say and probably deviate off topic often
    :D

Upvote 0

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Hey!

So scales can have multiple uses in Guitar playing:

1. Melodies
    2. Riffs
    3. Improvisation

Without going into all the theory, Scales are like DNA that make up the chords you hear & the melodies that sound good over them. The chords have a direct relationship to the scale that constructed them. Each note in a scale has a Chord that can be built from it. If you have a 7 Note scale, then you can get 7 chords - Basically a 7 chord family made from the DNA (scale).

Your pentatonic scales are 5 note scales that have been cherry picked from the Major Scale (which has 7 notes). This is why your Major Pentatonic Scale sounds good over Major chords/songs & Your Minor Pentatonic Scale sounds good over Minor chords/songs.

For practicing the scales, there are two things you'll want to really concentrate on: Positions & Ear Training.

1. Positions - Learning the shapes of the scale on the neck and practicing enough that it becomes muscle memory. This is more of a visual task.

2. Ear training - Learning to recognise the sound of the scale like any song you know off by heart. This could be as simple as practicing the scale along to a backing track and humming the notes as you play them.

I'd say the Ear training part will be the most valuable to your Guitar playing, as it will give you the ability to improvise and really understand how to use the scale in context 👌

In terms of the formulas on how you actually get the Scales from the Caged positions, I'm sure theres a forum topic in the past or a YouTube video you could find to help you. Caged is a system I've never used so I might not be the best at explaining it 😊

Best of luck and hope this clears some stuff up!