• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Beginner Scales

Beginner Theory

Dismemberer

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Oct 16, 2021
I have learnt some scales here on synner. But I do not know how to use them. I know how to form the major scale but I see people playing scales on different positions and sometimes they play it in a 3 notes per string kinda way and sometimes others. So what's the use of scales and how do you practice them. Which way should you play scales? Like the three notes per string way or other? Is there only one scale used in songs or multiple? How do they figure out which scales will sound good and which ones will not sound good together. Also, how do they figure out over which chords to play a specific scale? Thanks guys 🙃

Andrew Milner

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    andreilucianmoraru.com
    There are two distinct ways I like to play scales:
    - using the CAGED system to figure them out (check the lessons on the CAGED system here, they're immensely good)
    - using the 3 notes per string way (also a very good lesson on that here) - Syn kinda plays them like this if it helps

There is also a very good video by Ben Eller about another useful pattern of playing scales here:

Scales are used to create either riffs or solos and can help you understand what chords you can use in your song based on what scale (or key) it's written in.

Upvote 0

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Theres many ways to play scales. Its 7 of 12 notes. So with that in mind there's a few patterns you can do. I do 3 per string always have. I also use the pentatonic scale a lot more which is more a 2 3 2 or a 2 2 3 pattern. I guess it comes down to what is easier.. alternate picking or economy. Form your patterns that way. Make not easy for you.

Reactions: Dismemberer

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Without delving into the specifics too much, Scales are tools that musicians use to create melodies, riffs & also Chords.

Scales are the DNA that make up chords, and this is why certain scales fit over certain chords/chord progressions.

For example: your C Major Scale: CDEFGAB - Works over a C Major Chord (CEG) because the chord lives within the scale. You get the chord from picking a note C, missing a note, and picking a note E until you have a Triad (3 note chord) CEG.

I always reccomend Rick Beato for anyone who wants to learn about the inner workings of this stuff. His basics of music theory lectures on YouTube are an amazing resource 👌

Upvote 0

Jason Dunbar

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Apr 18, 2021
    Seattle
    I've found that a really good way to practice scales is to find a backing track and run them up and down, and experiment to see what sounds good. So if you find a backing track in Dminor, just play a Dminor scale up and down, play around with different orders of notes, and then add more scale positions as you get more comfortable. That'll help be able to use them musically more quickly.

Upvote 0

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Like a pool of notes to choose from
    it's possible to overlap scales if they've got the same notes in them
    That's kind of how I see it
    100% agree. Rick beato says. You dont wanna play the same scale every phrase/octave. He changes it up by adding a 4th or whatever to change it up everytime. Adds flavour for sure.

Reactions: William B.
    Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection