• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Schecter Diamond Synyster Gates Custom S - E and A string swing (?)

Lespaul0085

New Student
Feb 28, 2020
Hi Guys,

I just received my new Schecter Diamond Synyster Gates Custom S Satin Gold Burst.
When I play e.g. only on the higher e string, the lower e and a string start swinging too (please check out the corresponding video: IMG_0670.mp4 on Vimeo).
As I used to play an Epiphone Les Paul Standard before, I am not sure, whether the described behavior is "works as designed" or a flaw of the product.
In the case of my epiphone all the other strings remain steady when I play the higher e string (or any of the higher strings).

Would be great if anyone familiar with a Schecter SynGates Custom S could give me feedback, if that happens with other guitars of this model as well?

All the best,
Christoph

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Do you have the sustainiac on?

Because it might just be that you play the high E string and that creates the Low A and E string to vibrate, however since you are not mutting them and you stop using the High E string, it may be possible that the sustainiac then pick ups the A or E string and make them vibrate. After all, thats how the sustainiac works. To create this infinite sustain, it makes the string vibrate pretty much as long as you want it to. However, you do need to know how to control all the other strings so only the desire string/notes sustains.

Upvote 0

Lespaul0085

New Student
    Feb 28, 2020

Because it might just be that you play the high E string and that creates the Low A and E string to vibrate, however since you are not mutting them and you stop using the High E string, it may be possible that the sustainiac then pick ups the A or E string and make them vibrate. After all, thats how the sustainiac works. To create this infinite sustain, it makes the string vibrate pretty much as long as you want it to. However, you do need to know how to control all the other strings so only the desire string/notes sustains.
    If I turn the Sustaniac on and hit the higher e string (w/o muting any string), the lower e string starts to swing and the higher e string stops swinging-that just seems odd to me. It only happens with the lower e and a string

Upvote 0

Donovan Etue

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    Hi Guys,

I just received my new Schecter Diamond Synyster Gates Custom S Satin Gold Burst.
    When I play e.g. only on the higher e string, the lower e and a string start swinging too (please check out the corresponding video: IMG_0670.mp4 on Vimeo).
    As I used to play an Epiphone Les Paul Standard before, I am not sure, whether the described behavior is "works as designed" or a flaw of the product.
    In the case of my epiphone all the other strings remain steady when I play the higher e string (or any of the higher strings).

Would be great if anyone familiar with a Schecter SynGates Custom S could give me feedback, if that happens with other guitars of this model as well?

All the best,
    Christoph
    Pretty sure that's just due to the vibrations in the guitar getting the strings to rattle. My Schecter E-1 will rattle the A and D string a touch when playing the high e on it's own if I'm not muting. My Ibanez will rattle the A, D, and if I play it harder the low E as well. I would check my Schecter Synyster Custom S too but it's at the shop at the moment. 99% sure nothing is wrong, just the vibrations in the wood are vibrating the strings. Might have something to due with how the E/A/D strings are wound so they might be more likely to pickup vibrations from other strings, through the wood, through your bridge, and onto the strings themselves causing them to vibrate maybe? That's my guess anyway. Nothing to fear.

Upvote 0

Donovan Etue

• Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State

With the Sustainiac on it would be loudly vibrating all of the strings, not just the A/D. That freaked me out the first time I turned the sustainiac on my first sustainiac equipped guitar haha. The whole neck started vibrating so much so it felt like it was almost violent compared to my standard HH that didn't vibrate the neck as close even if I was aggressively strumming haha. That part took me a while to get used to.

Upvote 0

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    With the Sustainiac on it would be loudly vibrating all of the strings, not just the A/D. That freaked me out the first time I turned the sustainiac on my first sustainiac equipped guitar haha. The whole neck started vibrating so much so it felt like it was almost violent compared to my standard HH that didn't vibrate the neck as close even if I was aggressively strumming haha. That part took me a while to get used to.
    I have a sustainiac as well and I just tried (which for the records, I think is the same E1 a you) and I had something similar to him when my sustainiac was on. It's not necessairly all the strings that goes on at the same time. My A/E strings are more sensitive to the sustainiac than the rest of my strings which is probably due to them being bigger. So while yes all the strings are affected by the sustainiac, at least in my case, the low A and E string are much more sensitive when not muted. Which is a similar situation to what he has.

But then again, you might be right on your other comments that its just that the A and E strings are just more sensitive and that they just need to be muted with right technique

Last edited:
    Reactions: Donovan Etue
    Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    If I turn the Sustaniac on and hit the higher e string (w/o muting any string), the lower e string starts to swing and the higher e string stops swinging-that just seems odd to me. It only happens with the lower e and a string
    Yeah thats normal, dont worry, so does my sustainiac but its easily resolved with muting with the right hand. Which I think is pretty much you have to do. To me, its probably just a question that the A and E string are more sensitive becaus of how the guitar is built. might be caused by the floyd rose too and its floating nature. I wouldn't worry too much as technique should resolve it. But then again, this is my perspective! If anyone might have a better suggestion or idea, by all means go ahead!

Reactions: Lespaul0085
    Upvote 0

Donovan Etue

• Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    I have a sustainiac as well and I just tried (which for the records, I think is the same E1 a you) and I had something similar to him when my sustainiac was on. It's not necessairly all the strings that goes on at the same time. My A/E strings are more sensitive to the sustainiac than the rest of my strings which is probably due to them being bigger. So while yes all the strings are affected by the sustainiac, at least in my case, the low A and E string are much more sensitive when not muted. Which is a similar situation to what he has.

But then again, you might be right on your other comments that its just that the A and E strings are just more sensitive and that they just need to be muted with right technique
    Just double checked and your right, those two seem to be more sensitive. My best uneducated guess would be due to them being larger/wound strings that has more of the sustainiac around them compared to the low E string. I'm not sure though. Curious if us 3 happen to be outliers or if that's the case with more sustainiac equipped guitars. In Les's video it appears as though that it's off. Looking at the switch, it appears to be flipped closer to the bridge aka off unless I'm wrong and it's flipped the other way. I can't quite tell for certain.

Upvote 0

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Just double checked and your right, those two seem to be more sensitive. My best uneducated guess would be due to them being larger/wound strings that has more of the sustainiac around them compared to the low E string. I'm not sure though. Curious if us 3 happen to be outliers or if that's the case with more sustainiac equipped guitars. In Les's video it appears as though that it's off. Looking at the switch, it appears to be flipped closer to the bridge aka off unless I'm wrong and it's flipped the other way. I can't quite tell for certain.
    He said that its off so might just be that the those strings are more sensitive in general and that the way vibration traverse the guitar, the E and A string are sensitive to it! It's very strange and it just might something that is beyond our limited understanding of the guitar.

Another theory that just popped into my mind is that maybe his sustainiac is still emiting vibrations even though its off. Might not produce the sustainiac effect but still somewhat active. After all, it has its own electric system so who knows. I also rewatched his video and I am not sure which pickup is selected. That maybe has an effect on this?

Watch us overthinking this whole thing and someone swooping in knowing exactly what's going on :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Donovan Etue

• Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    He said that its off so might just be that the those strings are more sensitive in general and that the way vibration traverse the guitar, the E and A string are sensitive to it! It's very strange and it just might something that is beyond our limited understanding of the guitar.

Another theory that just popped into my mind is that maybe his sustainiac is still emiting vibrations even though its off. Might not produce the sustainiac effect but still somewhat active. After all, it has its own electric system so who knows. I also rewatched his video and I am not sure which pickup is selected. That maybe has an effect on this?

Watch us overthinking this whole thing and someone swooping in knowing exactly what's going on :ROFLMAO:
    *Me* Comes up with very long thought out reasoning behind the strings being extra sensitive to vibration due to the denseness of the wood, the metal bridge, and the magnetic frequency zone being stronger around said two strings due to being closer to centered over the sustainiac.

*Someone strolling on through* Points out that the sustainiac happens to be on.

Wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened to me haha.

• Haha
    Reactions: Rad Synner
    Upvote 0

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    *Me* Comes up with very long thought out reasoning behind the strings being extra sensitive to vibration due to the denseness of the wood, the metal bridge, and the magnetic frequency zone being stronger around said two strings due to being closer to centered over the sustainiac.

*Someone strolling on through* Points out that the sustainiac happens to be on.

Wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened to me haha.
    Exactly!! :ROFLMAO: Happens all the time

Upvote 0

Donovan Etue

• Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    Exactly!! :ROFLMAO: Happens all the time
    Definitely! I'm pretty damn good at doing that frequently over what should be simple question/answer haha. I was helping Mom make a batch of jam yesterday and I noticed a ton of sugar in one of the large 1 quart measuring cups. I asked "Damn, why is there so much sugar in that? Is that supposed to setup to get the proper consistency? Maybe to help the pectin setup too?". Nope, "that's just to make the jam sweet enough dude". Didn't remember just HOW much sugar goes into a batch of jam. Same thing happens when helping Dad out with something. "Hey, hand me that wrench there." Alright, I don't see any bolts that size, that seems kind of overkill for a stubborn nut. "Does it help you get a bit more tension on the nut to break it loose?" "Sometimes it can be used for that, but I'm just gonna beat the crap out of it, call it a dirty rotten son of a bitch, and hope it breaks loose." Ah alright Dad. Que swear word education course number 324, how and when to time a curse word when working with a rusted nut/bolt haha.

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Definitely! I'm pretty damn good at doing that frequently over what should be simple question/answer haha. I was helping Mom make a batch of jam yesterday and I noticed a ton of sugar in one of the large 1 quart measuring cups. I asked "Damn, why is there so much sugar in that? Is that supposed to setup to get the proper consistency? Maybe to help the pectin setup too?". Nope, "that's just to make the jam sweet enough dude". Didn't remember just HOW much sugar goes into a batch of jam. Same thing happens when helping Dad out with something. "Hey, hand me that wrench there." Alright, I don't see any bolts that size, that seems kind of overkill for a stubborn nut. "Does it help you get a bit more tension on the nut to break it loose?" "Sometimes it can be used for that, but I'm just gonna beat the crap out of it, call it a dirty rotten son of a bitch, and hope it breaks loose." Ah alright Dad. Que swear word education course number 324, how and when to time a curse word when working with a rusted nut/bolt haha.
    Hahahahaha well such is life! Some of us just overthink too much!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0