• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

🎸 ''Season of blues'' contest 🎸

Hello everyone!

Today's Friday, the weekend is coming and I just hope y'all are doing good! I want to announce a contest we are launching to go alongside @Brian Haner Sr. stream on May 17th that I dubbed: The ''Season of Blues'' Contest!!

To participate, it's fairly simple:

- Create a blues Riff from the Blues Master Class of PG
- Post it in THIS thread saying which lesson helped you
- That's about it! No need to overthink it, just have fun, build upon your inner creativity and let yourself flow with the blues!

The prize will be a 3 Months Legend+ Upgrade,that will give access to all of Syn and PG's live stream, plus 2 Gift subscription for 2 of your friends!

The contest starts TODAY and will end Friday May 13th 2022 at midnight PST!

Looking forward to see all your entries! :rock-hand:

- Rad

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Javier Wienarjati

Campfire Attention Holder
Dec 7, 2021
Indonesia
www.instagram.com

Hello, I am so excited with this challenge so that I do time travel and collaborating with myself a year ago. Lol😆
The one with acoustic guitar is 2021 Me, and the one with Sechter SGR guitar is 2022 Me. I watched PG master class with my mom. Not finished yet but some PG wisdoms been ringing in my ear : Voicing your guitar, don't betray the song, use motifs, land your notes, and don't leave the baby.😄

Thank you Papa Gates for all the lessons and the wisdoms. I am sorry if it's not bluesy enough.
Thank you..

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
Rockstar Student
Nov 11, 2019
Spain
Where to start?

Around November 2019, the Blues Masterclass was released onto our lovely site, and as a guitar player who never could fully understand the Blues I was more than excited! Started the Blues masterclass and it was around lesson 2 of part one: “Melody and Motif” where I went down the rabbit hole…….

Through Landing and Color Tones all the way up to Creating Tension from Part two of the Masterclass I had one big realization:

I don’t know my fretboard!

Throughout these lessons, PG mentions the notes in the chords and the effect certain notes have in the context of certain chords. And I knew nothing. Since the end of 2019 until now I have been on the quest of learning my fretboard and some Music theory and applying that knowledge into my playing…and I am approximately my 5ht attempt to finish the masterclass. I still struggle with it every day, but this masterclass changed me as a player. Also, in an effort to learn how to play more melodic and less muscle memory-ish, I sabotage my playing by not using a Pick while playing blues….and you know I love my picks…… That’s all!

Steven Huth

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Super late entry and I wish I would have spent more time on this because it sounds just okay to me. It's a little sloppy, and by a little I mean a lot (and I missed a note here and there :censored:).

The lesson that helped me with this was the Lesson3: Landing tones. Syn and Papa mentioned about listening to the chords in the background when doing some improvising and I feel like did an okay job at doing that. I still need to work on making these impovs a little more interesting, but we are getting there.

Flower Hands

Garage band Groupie
    Sep 15, 2021
    BRA
    Throughout these lessons, PG mentions the notes in the chords and the effect certain notes have in the context of certain chords. And I knew nothing.
    yeah, i got here late, still at the chords lesson, 9ths 13ths, deal a little better with degrees rather than looking down and trying to find where's the C#. Trying to learn the fretboard too now
    your video is pretty nice, I can see the structure/dynamics

• Love
    Reactions: Christian Schulze

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    yeah, me too, got here late, trying to rush a bit, it's being intensive, I'm still at the chords lesson, 9ths 13ths, deal a little better with degrees rather than looking down and trying to find where's the C#
    your video is pretty nice, I can see the structure/dynamics
    Thank you brother. Yesss it's rough.

I, at times need to write out which scales I can use. And write them out.

In my video what I loved and tried to use a lot in the improv was whenever it came back to the 1 (A7) to use the C# to A transition, which is a minor 6 interval I belive. It just resolves nicely.

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    Super late entry and I wish I would have spent more time on this because it sounds just okay to me. It's a little sloppy, and by a little I mean a lot (and I missed a note here and there :censored:).

The lesson that helped me with this was the Lesson3: Landing tones. Syn and Papa mentioned about listening to the chords in the background when doing some improvising and I feel like did an okay job at doing that. I still need to work on making these impovs a little more interesting, but we are getting there.

If you dont mind.....imma steal some licks......Great work brother!

Reactions: Alicia Willis

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019

This lesson helped me: Link
    It's lesson 2 about motifs and melodies. Haven't gotten further yet.
    Not completely worked out and it's based off the last bar from the lesson, had some more to it but didn't get it down in time.
    First did this lesson awhile back and got me going after a few minutes cause of the singing and playing.
    Didn't do that here but did work on my double stops and more.
    Not really playing with the metronome, sometimes I have a hard time ( more than normal )

Last edited:

Flower Hands

Garage band Groupie
    Sep 15, 2021
    BRA
    I made a little blues track

ok lets see, the motif would be at 0:15, that rhytmic part, A CCC A, that is repeated later with other pitches instead of minor 3rd
    at 1:10, I start second section with 7th degree, tension
    (I play lots of chord fakery dont know them tho)

I'm liking the chords lesson, I've been wondering for some time how I could play the whole chord scale in a very small part of the fretboard, like how moving only one fret makes the 3 7 chord becomes 7 3, that is what I was looking for...
    A double stop is part of 2+ chords at the same time, and so on

For listening, I thought Leadbelly - Alabama Bound was nice, the turnaround thing

Last edited: