• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Seize the Day Ending/Bat country "Sweep"

Leo The Gym Rat

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Hey guys!, i'm having some trouble figuring out if the Seize The Day Ending "Sweep"/Bat Country "sweep", is actually a sweep, or if the notes are all individually picked, on this lesson syn gave, he's picking each note, and on Live @ LBC, on the ending of seize the day, syn picks each note from the arpeggio individually, almost like some sort of alternate picking
(Skip to 1:04)
(Very briefly at 6:53)
Any guesses on what that technique is? Probably just alternate picking i think.
Thanks!:cool:

Last edited:

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Singapore
www.instagram.com
Based on those two videos, seems like alternate picking. I've tried doing both solos with sweep and alternate picking. Sweep picking has a smoother movement obviously, but has the likelihood of notes crossing/overlapping if you don't control the muting on both hands well, whereas alternate picking has slightly better control & attack, and makes the notes "pop out" a bit more, for the lack of better word.

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Singapore
www.instagram.com
Hey guys!, i'm having some trouble figuring out if the Seize The Day Ending "Sweep"/Bat Country "sweep", is actually a sweep, or if the notes are all individually picked, on this lesson syn gave, he's picking each note, and on Live @ LBC, on the ending of seize the day, syn picks each note from the arpeggio individually, almost like some sort of alternate picking
(Skip to 1:04)
(Very briefly at 6:53)
Any guesses on what that technique is? Probably just alternate picking i think.
Thanks!:cool:
You may refer to this https://syngates.com/lessons/alternate-picking-ix.104/

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Nov 11, 2019
Indiana
Im 99% its alternate picked on bat country, i remember seeing so many tutorials for it and its kinda the same as beast and the harlot, whereas in the chorus he doesnt sweep the arpeggios he alt picks them. But in bat country’s case, it involves some string skipping so that would constitute alt picking!

As for seize the day, watch lesson 82 on sweep picking. That was one of syns signature sweep licks from the city of evil days, use in the wicked end most notably, and seems to be what he’s doing in seize the day.

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Singapore
www.instagram.com
Im 99% its alternate picked on bat country, i remember seeing so many tutorials for it and its kinda the same as beast and the harlot, whereas in the chorus he doesnt sweep the arpeggios he alt picks them. But in bat country’s case, it involves some string skipping so that would constitute alt picking!

As for seize the day, watch lesson 82 on sweep picking. That was one of syns signature sweep licks from the city of evil days, use in the wicked end most notably, and seems to be what he’s doing in seize the day.
Yup, it's alternate picking. You can experiment with both sweep and alt, then you'll get a better understanding as to why he used such technique. I'd say that for the case of Bat Country and Seize the Day, it's probably considered the "lower tier" of sweep picking, as compared to sweeps like in Afterlife.

Cheers!

Reactions: Jesse Salmons

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Nov 11, 2019
Indiana
Yup, it's alternate picking. You can experiment with both sweep and alt, then you'll get a better understanding as to why he used such technique. I'd say that for the case of Bat Country and Seize the Day, it's probably considered the "lower tier" of sweep picking, as compared to sweeps like in Afterlife.

Cheers!
Yeah definitely! #WhatMuzSaid

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Leo The Gym Rat

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Based on those two videos, seems like alternate picking. I've tried doing both solos with sweep and alternate picking. Sweep picking has a smoother movement obviously, but has the likelihood of notes crossing/overlapping if you don't control the muting on both hands well, whereas alternate picking has slightly better control & attack, and makes the notes "pop out" a bit more, for the lack of better word.
Agreed. Certainly looks like alternate picking right?

Leo The Gym Rat

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019

Yup, its the same as it is on Beast and the harlot

Leo The Gym Rat

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019

But are you sure that's a sweep at seize the day?, that looks a lot like alternate picking.

Reactions: Jesse Salmons

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Singapore
www.instagram.com
It's 100% alternate picking, but I have no clue how he does it so cleanly with the arpeggios!
Based on how I've tried both solos, because of the speed of the sweeps, it's kinda wiser to use the "alternate picking" because the notes aren't going as fast. Using sweep picking, especially on a song like Bat Country, may make you have the tendency to go too fast, thus alternate picking helps to - as i've mentioned earlier - give better control over the chosen notes. 😉

Reactions: Chris Johnston

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Based on how I've tried both solos, because of the speed of the sweeps, it's kinda wiser to use the "alternate picking" because the notes aren't going as fast. Using sweep picking, especially on a song like Bat Country, may make you have the tendency to go too fast, thus alternate picking helps to - as i've mentioned earlier - give better control over the chosen notes. 😉
    I had a try earlier on and it's definitely true - mind you, at the moment I can sweep it a lot more comfortably as I've been working on my sweeping at slow speeds. But I reckon bringing the alternate picking up gradually will allow for a more even attack 😁 The tricky part is the unusual alternate picking/string skipping with an Arpeggio that would normally be sweeped

Reactions: Muz Malek

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Singapore
    www.instagram.com
    I had a try earlier on and it's definitely true - mind you, at the moment I can sweep it a lot more comfortably as I've been working on my sweeping at slow speeds. But I reckon bringing the alternate picking up gradually will allow for a more even attack 😁 The tricky part is the unusual alternate picking/string skipping with an Arpeggio that would normally be sweeped
    Hahahah i totally get what you mean bro! I spent quite a fair couple of weeks to figure out if i prefer to sweep or alt pick for bat country. Alt pick's tiring but powerful, sweep is smooth but requires more focus and control.