• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

SETUP: Basics of Intonation

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    So my guess is to loosen the screw to make it longer and tighten to make it shorter? I noticed some of my stuff is a little off. I also changed tunings a lot as well. Will have to do each one to see where they all land.
    That's a great guess, and it would make TOTAL SENSE, but it's actually the opposite. Tightening the screw brings the saddle further back, lengthening the string.

I should also say the adjustments are *usually* going to be fairly small - quarter and half turns - unless it's in bad shape or you've made drastic string or tuning changes.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Yeah I wasnt sure.. I debated to myself which way would be ideal. Gonna go over the guitars slowly I suppose.

Sounds like truss rod adjustments. Little bit at a time.
    Yes, except you don't need to let it "settle in" for a day before making additional adjustments, like you do with a truss rod.

The cool thing is, Calvin, you can literally watch the saddle move when you turn the screw, so the mechanics of it will totally click for you once you try it!

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Yes, except you don't need to let it "settle in" for a day before making additional adjustments, like you do with a truss rod.

The cool thing is, Calvin, you can literally watch the saddle move when you turn the screw, so the mechanics of it will totally click for you once you try it!
    I knew the other adjustments but thats one I didn't know. May be why people say some of my guitars are off tune

Reactions: Ed Seith
    Synner Endless Summer Collection