• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Share with me your pick of destiny!

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
Rockstar Student
Nov 11, 2019
Spain
Like the title says,

I hope you have one or are at least on the journey to finding your pick that feels like your excalibur, hand in glove or perfect partner. I hope you can share your stories of how you found them! Pick nerds I summon you!

A little story time.

I always was a random pick guy, but then during the pandemic I saw a video from Troy Grady talking about the mythical jazz 3 pick...which sent me down a rabbit hole:

Bought some jazz 3 XL and loved them, then proceded to buy variety pick packs and stumbled upon my beloved Dunlop Flow series...which already felt like the righ way for me. Starting with the 1,5mm one, moving to the 2 mm one and then buying a variety pack with a range from as little as 0,73 mm to the massive 3 mm picks. And I felt the thicker the better for me. I have some big hands and a little thin pick, once playing around with bigger picks, always felt uncomfortable for me. So imagine my amazement when I stumbled upon the Behemoth that was the 4.20 mm Dunlop flow pick!

I bit the bullet (10 bucks for two) and it felt like my Excalibur moment. But during that time like all of use, I was going through a lot and from a financial standpoint I could not justify buying 2 picks for 10 bucks! So I experimented with the ones I had and settled for the 2mm one and bought a 24 pack (yesss insane I know). Then I stumbled upon some primetone picks that were 5 mm and cheaper thant the 4.2 flow picks.....but they had no attach at all..... so I did the next logical thing and bough a 12 pack of the Dunlop Flow gloss 3 mm picks........which were weird as hell for me. So for a year and a half approximately I strayed away from what I felt like my pick of destiny due to financial reasons.....spending more on different picks in one year than a 12 pack of my pick of destiny.......yeah....So long story short...I bought a 12 pack of Dunlop Flow 4.2 mm picks......

photo_2022-04-05_13-19-13.jpg
photo_2022-04-05_13-19-25.jpg

TrentNWM

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 15, 2019
    Dunlop flows are absolutely awesome but I've always just been used to tortex jazz picks. Personally, I absolutely love Jazz III picks, but my go to currently is the Jazz I pick because it's more rounded, making for an easier sweeping/pinch harmonics (at least for me). I'd like to try some Jazz II picks, just to see what they're like, but my personal preferences don't usually change because I've already been using tortex for sooooooo long. I've also tried Dunlop Jazz picks, but I really don't like the raised profile of it, Idk I'm probably just too picky (Pun Intended!).

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    Dunlop flows are absolutely awesome but I've always just been used to tortex jazz picks. Personally, I absolutely love Jazz III picks, but my go to currently is the Jazz I pick because it's more rounded, making for an easier sweeping/pinch harmonics (at least for me). I'd like to try some Jazz II picks, just to see what they're like, but my personal preferences don't usually change because I've already been using tortex for sooooooo long. I've also tried Dunlop Jazz picks, but I really don't like the raised profile of it, Idk I'm probably just too picky (Pun Intended!).
    Fucking awesome. I often forget that Jazz 3 means there is a jazz 1 and 2 XD.

Since I am not very good with sweeping I still need to figure out how to best do it with my dunlop flow 4.2. But picking is so easy with them. Pinch harmonics too! At least for me

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    That's what so great about the pick market, I have guitarist friends who still use cheap chromacasts because they're what they've been used to playing with. No matter what your preferences are, there's a pick for everyone.
    Exactly!!!

There is always something out there for us. We just need to dare to try!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    Started using the jazz picks when I learned I could play faster. Always played syns solos as a learner with an acoustic pick tho, but that never stopped me.

now I burn the faces off with a lighter and carve the faces of my enemies into the jazz picks.

hold on tight….
    Fucking awesome!!!!

Jazz 3s were always to small for my bear hands XD but I love their attack!

Reactions: William B.

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    My favorite right now is the .73 Dunlop max grip, there's also a nylon version, the plastic is softer.
    I would probably like the .80 something one, also max grip.
    2nd favorite is that Dunlop 2.0, the plastic on it is soft and to me sounds like it has less bite.
    It could be my strings as I haven't changed them in almost a year.
    Been holding the pick different since a month or 2, like almost with 3 fingers, not always.

Got a stage played pick from Zacky but I need to look for it

• Love
    Reactions: Christian Schulze

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    My favorite right now is the .73 Dunlop max grip, there's also a nylon version, the plastic is softer.
    I would probably like the .80 something one, also max grip.
    2nd favorite is that Dunlop 2.0, the plastic on it is soft and to me sounds like it has less bite.
    It could be my strings as I haven't changed them in almost a year.
    Been holding the pick different since a month or 2, like almost with 3 fingers, not always.

Got a stage played pick from Zacky but I need to look for it
    I used to love the max grip ones! And nylon ones too I got from 0.6 mm to 1.5mm

Reactions: William B.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Cue up the U2 - "I still.... haven't found.... what I'm looking for!"

I have decided that as far as material, I am absolutely an Ultex guy. I hate the color (stale piss), but the feel and the tone are RIGHT THERE for me, along with long life/slow wear.

Recently, I've mostly been using the Jazz III Ultex, which are, I think about 1.2 or 1.3mm, but I sometimes go back to the snap and flex of the .73.

I have .73 Ultex Sharps coming in the mail today, and it's possible (I hope) that this may be it for a bit, but I will likely vacillate between the .73 Ultex sharps and the Ultex Jazz III for the foreseeable future.

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    IMG_1594.jpeg
    IMG_1595.jpeg

They're all from the snapping plastic, in order of denseness like the plastic bending some Zacky's has more give and Bill's the least.
    I got the Belphegor and I am Morbid ones last night! Belphegor I think it was the last song and he handed out picks and I got the last one :D
    Bill I saw after by the tour bus, wanted to say hi, he got it from the bus for me cause didn't have any on him.
    I didn't really know what to say and half drunk/nervous, but it was cool!
    Zacky's I got from a nurse some years ago.
    Was happy to share this, g2g

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    Fucking awesome man!!!
    View attachment 2860 View attachment 2861

They're all from the snapping plastic, in order of denseness like the plastic bending some Zacky's has more give and Bill's the least.
    I got the Belphegor and I am Morbid ones last night! Belphegor I think it was the last song and he handed out picks and I got the last one :D
    Bill I saw after by the tour bus, wanted to say hi, he got it from the bus for me cause didn't have any on him.
    I didn't really know what to say and half drunk/nervous, but it was cool!
    Zacky's I got from a nurse some years ago.
    Was happy to share this, g2g
    Great story. Nice you saw Bill!