• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Shipping Guitars to the UK

Cleo.Black

One Stringer
Jul 5, 2022
Hi everyone. I've found the guitar I would like to buy on Reverb but it will need to be shipped to the UK from Netherlands. Having never owned an electric guitar I don't really know if they travel well or not. Does anyone have any experience that they could share please?
I'm also trying to work out tax, VAT etc. Nightmare.

And last but not least do guitars need to be 'set up' or are they ready to play? The one I want is new if that makes a difference.

Thank you all so much for any help you can give me.

Reactions: William B.

Cleo.Black

One Stringer
Jul 5, 2022
I think there's high tax, that's all i know
Apparently I won't have to pay the VAT from the country I buy it from but will have charges in the UK. The seller is confident it will be the same amount ish as the VAT deducted. I am just worried about it getting damaged in transit. If only I could get the Custom S black and silver here 😩 I'm so ready to be an old fangirl. In fact I'm embracing it. I was ill for so long, didn't think I'd ever be able to concentrate enough to learn guitar which I'd always wanted to do but I think I can now so I'm doing it. In style 😎 🥰🤣

Reactions: William B.

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Apparently I won't have to pay the VAT from the country I buy it from but will have charges in the UK. The seller is confident it will be the same amount ish as the VAT deducted. I am just worried about it getting damaged in transit. If only I could get the Custom S black and silver here 😩 I'm so ready to be an old fangirl. In fact I'm embracing it. I was ill for so long, didn't think I'd ever be able to concentrate enough to learn guitar which I'd always wanted to do but I think I can now so I'm doing it. In style 😎 🥰🤣
    The seller maybe knows how to package it good, I read/heard some stuff about flight cases being the safest.
    Post any questions and video updates are great cause you see/hear yourself playing and we can help you out if we know what's going on.
    I don't know much about products and the processes of the buy/sell trade

JackJ97

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Hi everyone. I've found the guitar I would like to buy on Reverb but it will need to be shipped to the UK from Netherlands. Having never owned an electric guitar I don't really know if they travel well or not. Does anyone have any experience that they could share please?
    I'm also trying to work out tax, VAT etc. Nightmare.

And last but not least do guitars need to be 'set up' or are they ready to play? The one I want is new if that makes a difference.

Thank you all so much for any help you can give me.
    I think it is different from seller to seller with guitars being predominantly wood the weather from country to country could cause some warping but taking it to a Luthier for a setup may benefit the playability of the guitar in the long run.

Cleo.Black

One Stringer
    Jul 5, 2022
    That
    I think it is different from seller to seller with guitars being predominantly wood the weather from country to country could cause some warping but taking it to a Luthier for a setup may benefit the playability of the guitar in the long run.
    That is really interesting I wouldn't have thought of that. I think I'm going to get a secondhand one instead in the UK. I don't need a new one, I'm just worried about there being something wrong with the one I buy and ne not knowing as I'm clueless.
    Ps, I'm totally googling what a Luthier is as I feel like I need one in my life.

Reactions: JackJ97
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

JackJ97

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    That

That is really interesting I wouldn't have thought of that. I think I'm going to get a secondhand one instead in the UK. I don't need a new one, I'm just worried about there being something wrong with the one I buy and ne not knowing as I'm clueless.
    Ps, I'm totally googling what a Luthier is as I feel like I need one in my life.
    Haha yeah I was the same my first guitar setup was awful only because my guitar teacher called me out on it and recommend a setup, yeah Luthiers are experts in all things guitars would be worth it if you are a little unsure on things.

Cleo.Black

One Stringer
    Jul 5, 2022
    Amazing
    Haha yeah I was the same my first guitar setup was awful only because my guitar teacher called me out on it and recommend a setup, yeah Luthiers are experts in all things guitars would be worth it if you are a little unsure on things.
    It is incredible how much I have learnt being here in just a week. Thank you. I wonder if the Luthier can also teach me how to play the damn thing 🤣

Last edited:

JackJ97

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Amazi

It is incredible how much I have learnt being here in just a week. Thank you. I wonder if the Luthier can also teach me how to play the damn thing 🤣
    No problem we are a close community here happy to help, I mean if they can't you always have Papa G and Syn to help with that, if you would like to know anything I am a message away not that I know to much myself though 😂

Cleo.Black

One Stringer
    Jul 5, 2022
    No problem we are a close community here happy to help, I mean if they can't you always have Papa G and Syn to help with that, if you would like to know anything I am a message away not that I know to much myself though 😂
    Thank you so much. I am working through the Synner school. I've just reached a point where I cannot carry on without a guitar. I have an acoustic but my hands struggle with it so I'm going to buy an electric. I get paid on Friday so I will invest then. Either secondhand or new, Friday is the day. I have a day off on Monday so hope to just learn.
    In a few years time when I can quit nursing because I'm the best guitarist in the world and I'm being interviewed I'll be able to say I was taught solely by Papa Gates and Syn, how cool is that?!! 🤣🤣🤣 I am of course joking, I'll probably never play in front of anyone. I'll just look cool by myself.

JackJ97

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Thank you so much. I am working through the Synner school. I've just reached a point where I cannot carry on without a guitar. I have an acoustic but my hands struggle with it so I'm going to buy an electric. I get paid on Friday so I will invest then. Either secondhand or new, Friday is the day. I have a day off on Monday so hope to just learn.
    In a few years time when I can quit nursing because I'm the best guitarist in the world and I'm being interviewed I'll be able to say I was taught solely by Papa Gates and Syn, how cool is that?!! 🤣🤣🤣 I am of course joking, I'll probably never play in front of anyone. I'll just look cool by myself.
    Shoot for the stars I say, remember me when you reach the big stage 😜

owen817

Garage band Groupie
  • Jan 24, 2022
    Fort Worth, TX
    https://www.guitarplayer.com/lessons/the-12-step-guide-to-electric-and-acoustic-guitar-setup I would also recommend putting new strings on it. If you do have it shipped let it sit inside for a few days so the wood to do whatever its going to do. Temps and humidity change the guitar and you want it to be comfortable in its new home. Its pretty easy to pack a guitar, just loosen the strings or take them off. I like to bubble wrap it a few times. There is also boxes they make just for shipping guitars or hard cases. Either way put as much packing material that you can inside so the guitar can't move around. Then you seal it up tight and hope for the best.

Tunefulcathodic

Garage band Groupie
  • Jun 9, 2022
    Hi Cleo.... im noy going to do speech of the bible of harley benton but...Have you try to look in thomann? You can see the cost of the thing... they are from germany and arrived to italy by UPS ... i only try once because my limited budget money... but there is no cost to europe if you spend a minimum

Cleo.Black

One Stringer
    Jul 5, 2022
    Hi Cleo.... im noy going to do speech of the bible of harley benton but...Have you try to look in thomann? You can see the cost of the thing... they are from germany and arrived to italy by UPS ... i only try once because my limited budget money... but there is no cost to europe if you spend a minimum
    Thanks so much for your reply. I am going to buy it secondhand in the UK now to avoid the drama. It looks perfect so I'm putting my faith in the person. I'm getting a bursary for going back in to nursing so that's funding my new hobby as I've worked so hard to pay for travel and childcare.

Reactions: Tunefulcathodic