• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

signal chain

Solution
Signal chain is nothing more than the "sound path" between your guitar and your amp. (And anything in-between). So guitar output to wah wah pedal to distortion pedal to echo pedal to amp input is your signal chain.
The reason signal path is important is because pedals need to go in a certain order to get the most out of them. The easiest way to hear this is to plug your guitar into a wah wah pedal THEN into a distortion (or overdrive) pedal. Then, reverse it and plug your guitar into the distortion and then the wah wah pedal. You will quickly hear the importance of signal path. When you put the wah wah after the distortion - all hell breaks loose and it's nearly impossible to control. That may be an effect you like, but it would not be...

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
Staff member
Legend+
Fucking Legend
Nov 11, 2019
Signal chain is nothing more than the "sound path" between your guitar and your amp. (And anything in-between). So guitar output to wah wah pedal to distortion pedal to echo pedal to amp input is your signal chain.
The reason signal path is important is because pedals need to go in a certain order to get the most out of them. The easiest way to hear this is to plug your guitar into a wah wah pedal THEN into a distortion (or overdrive) pedal. Then, reverse it and plug your guitar into the distortion and then the wah wah pedal. You will quickly hear the importance of signal path. When you put the wah wah after the distortion - all hell breaks loose and it's nearly impossible to control. That may be an effect you like, but it would not be practical in everyday use.
Lastly, there is a ton of debate as to the perfect signal path. The best way to find what you like is to experiment.
Good luck!
pg

Last edited:
Solution

Donovan Etue

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    I'm just imagining PG sitting at his desk in his comfy clothes browsing through the school forums to see if anyone needs help. He's browsing through and checks to see if abuzarin had responded with anymore questions. He scrolls down to see one of the most incredible comments he's read in the schools history. He checks twice and he's not seeing things. He murmurs, "I finally did it, I finally beat Ed!". He jumps for joy (gently, those older experienced joints aren't nearly as nimble as they used to be) and screams out "Suzy! Break out the champagne! I finally did it!" "Did you finally beat Ed to the punch?". "I sure did". "Hooray!" *cheers heard throughout the house*. PG opens up the top left drawer of his desk to reveal a dusty confetti popper. He picks it up, takes a breath, and pulls the weak old string. *POP*. With that PG remains happier than a nerdy kid in college finding out that the hottest cheerleader on campus has a crush on him.

Why I decided to type out this creative English project at 8pm with such excitement and specific detail? I'm not sure. But it's here and I hope it gives one person a laugh.

Anyway, #WhatEdSaidAbout#WhatPGSaid signal chains, simply put is the path from the pickups in your guitar to the speakers in your cabinet. When it's referred to online I see it mentioned moreso about how you are using your pedals. Normally you'd have it pedals organized like. Tuner, Wah Wah/similar effect, then your gain pedal, if it's especially noisy a gate pedal, then comes your time related pedals aka your delay and reverb. I normally use mine with a delay first, reverb second so your reverb receives the delay effect and reverbs based on that. If it's the other way it sounds a bit off in my opinion but opinions are of course subjective! Anyway, I've definitely rambled on for far too long and PG said it best. I hope the info you've received helps!

Upvote 0

Awex Came

Campfire Attention Holder
    Legend
    May 23, 2021
    I'm just imagining PG sitting at his desk in his comfy clothes browsing through the school forums to see if anyone needs help. He's browsing through and checks to see if abuzarin had responded with anymore questions. He scrolls down to see one of the most incredible comments he's read in the schools history. He checks twice and he's not seeing things. He murmurs, "I finally did it, I finally beat Ed!". He jumps for joy (gently, those older experienced joints aren't nearly as nimble as they used to be) and screams out "Suzy! Break out the champagne! I finally did it!" "Did you finally beat Ed to the punch?". "I sure did". "Hooray!" *cheers heard throughout the house*. PG opens up the top left drawer of his desk to reveal a dusty confetti popper. He picks it up, takes a breath, and pulls the weak old string. *POP*. With that PG remains happier than a nerdy kid in college finding out that the hottest cheerleader on campus has a crush on him.

Why I decided to type out this creative English project at 8pm with such excitement and specific detail? I'm not sure. But it's here and I hope it gives one person a laugh.

Anyway, #WhatEdSaidAbout#WhatPGSaid signal chains, simply put is the path from the pickups in your guitar to the speakers in your cabinet. When it's referred to online I see it mentioned moreso about how you are using your pedals. Normally you'd have it pedals organized like. Tuner, Wah Wah/similar effect, then your gain pedal, if it's especially noisy a gate pedal, then comes your time related pedals aka your delay and reverb. I normally use mine with a delay first, reverb second so your reverb receives the delay effect and reverbs based on that. If it's the other way it sounds a bit off in my opinion but opinions are of course subjective! Anyway, I've definitely rambled on for far too long and PG said it best. I hope the info you've received helps!
    meme.jpg

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    PG sitting at his desk in his comfy clothes browsing through the school forums to see if anyone needs help. He's browsing through and checks to see if abuzarin had responded with anymore questions. He scrolls down to see one of the most incredible comments he's read in the schools history. He checks twice and he's not seeing things. He murmurs, "I finally did it, I finally beat Ed!". He jumps for joy (gently, those older experienced joints aren't nearly as nimble as they used to be) and screams out "Suzy! Break out the champagne! I finally did it!" "Did you finally beat Ed to the punch?". "I sure did". "Hooray!" *cheers heard throughout the house*. PG opens up the top left drawer of his desk to reveal a dusty confetti popper. He picks it up, takes a breath, and pulls the weak old string. *POP*. With that PG remains happier than a nerdy kid in college finding out that the hottest cheerleader on campus has a crush on him.
    By the powers given to me, I thereby declare this canon in the school's history.

Upvote 0

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019

For the last time. STOP LOOKING IN MY WINDOW!!!!

Upvote 0