• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Signature pickups active or passive?

Matt Wildman

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Liberty IN
I’m assuming Syns pickups that are for sale here at the store are active. Can someone confirm that for me? Cause I’m planning on buying a guitar soon and some day I play on putting his pickups in the guitar. So I need to know wether I need to buy a guitar with active or passive pickups.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I won’t go into the physics that much because that may mostly bore people and is a long explanation.
Basically, an active pickup has an incredibly low output. To deal with this low output there is a pre-amp build in to the guitar and that’s where the battery comes in.
A passive pickup has a high enough output by itself so it doesn’t need the pre-amp and therefore does not need a battery.
This is the short explanation. Where the high/low output comes from goes a little deeper.

Synner Endless Summer Collection