• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Singing while playing -learning your voice

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Hey guys ! So I’m questioning how to sing while playing. I was in choir for many years. I’m not a great singer lol but via instruction I learned how to blend my voice with others. Now I struggle to sing in what I would call my “normal” voice. Any tips or tricks to get out the habit of trying to blend with someone else and just be myself ? I know it seems easy, but I have a hard time with it. I’m not trying to be amazing lol I’d just like to be able to sing along and not sound horrific lmao. I’m an alto, so high notes ain’t my thing anyways. Even in choir I would sing some bass or tenor when we were lacking the male vocals lol. I think this is leading me to not knowing how to use my true voice. If that makes sense.

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    What worked for me was listening to my favorite songs, and singing the guitar line, bass line, or even just the vocal melody. Or listen to instrumental music, and just sing, no words just kinda mumble, like you would hear on a demo track of a song. Its a good way to find your own voice. Then you can couple that with your guitar playing so it feels more natural, and also opens up a whole new world of possibilities for melodies and writing your own songs!

Also, once i learned different techniques to singing (growling, frying, head voice and chest voice and blending the 2 together) i coupled that with whatever style of music i sing and adjust accordingly.

Reactions: Alicia Willis

Andrew Milner

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    andreilucianmoraru.com
    As someone who has been singing for the last year and 3 months...range can be extended with the proper exercise.

What I would recommend is the following:
    - if you have a close friend who knows how to sing, ask said friend to go to a rehearsal room and let him/her teach you some basics
    - look up some singing courses, i.e. Musicisum or the 2 courses by the guy at Rock Vocal Academy on Udemy

However, since you already said you did choir practice, what you can do is start by practicing you chest voice, and then you head voice. Then you can look up mixed voice and other techniques.

Regardless of your approach, I highly recommend you find someone else who knows how to sing, so as to make sure you don't do anything wrong. Just remember, if your throat hurts, you are doing it wrong :LOL:.

Hope this helps.

P.S. typing this on mobile, so please excuse any inaccurracies.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Alicia Willis

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    Truth be told - I have made more money singing than playing guitar. Or at least got a ton of gigs because I could also sing.
    So here are a couple of warm ups to use.
    1. Sing an arpeggio - (la la la la la la) using a simple major chord going up - C E G C - then back down. Then go up a half step to C# and do the same thing. Keep going up half steps until the highest note is hard to hit. Then work your way back down the same way you worked your way up - in half steps.
    2. Do the same thing but hum it. Try to feel the hum right behind your nose. It should tickle - like you have a bee in your nose.
    3. Blow cold air on the palm of your hand. Now blow hot air on the palm of your hand - like you're trying to fog up a mirror. Feel the difference? The cool air came from your mouth. The hot air came from your stomach. When you sing, sing with hot air. This way you are "supporting" from your diaphragm.

OK - now the tougher part. The ever-elusive "finding your voice".
    I guarantee you already have more of a voice/style than you realize.
    I would start with singing the kind of songs you like - and then keep the ones that fit your voice. Lots of girls like Mariah Carey - but they can't sing like her.
    You have to be realistic and know what your range is, etc. You said you were an alto. That's a great start. Find some songs in that range you like and sing them. If it doesn't feel right, change the key. Use a capo and move it around. Find your sweet spot. Know the lowest & highest notes you can sing comfortably.

OK - enough technical stuff. Now for the fun part:
    Sing a song you know - but make it yours. Stylize it. Pay attention to lyrics. What do they mean to you? Think about phrasing. Emphasize important words. Hold them out longer. Sing with passion. Don't hold back. Remember - you're telling a story. If you don't care - the listener won't either.
    Start simple. You can always add "chops" later.

OK - so start there. Feel free to hit me with questions and comments. I'm here!
    Hope this helps you!
    Cheers!
    PG

Last edited: