• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Solo writing frustration

Isaac Moss

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Hey guys so I’m sitting here at one in the morning pretty frustrated not gonna lie trying to write a solo under a riff I have looped in a pedal. I came up with a tapping lick a week ago for it that I thought sounded pretty cool as a solo intro but after that I’ve been tying for an entire week to come up with other parts but I just can’t do it. Nothing I play sounds connected at all and I don’t know if I’m just stupid or what but I can’t come up with anything that sounds like it fits. I just want to be able to write solos as good as Syn but I freakin suck ass at writing lead stuff,I can write riffs easily but solos are so hard it’s like my mind goes blank which I hate because they’re my favorite part of most songs. Thanks if anyone has words of advice because idek if I’ll ever get there.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Remember that you want to try to carry a melody through the solo. It doesn’t really matter how you connect the dots as long as the main melody relates. Tempo can play a big part in that too. Honestly all I do is think what notes create the picture u wanna paint.

Jake Arnold

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Traverse City
Syn said at one point to try and sing a melody to what you are trying to write your solo to. That’s what I started doing and it helps a lot because You don’t really have to do anything technical to come up with a cool melody, you can just hum something to it until you think of something you like. 🙂

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
A pretty cliche thing to do is just start the solo off with the melody of the chorus vocals. It usually appears near the conclusion of the chorus, or where ever the message of the song appears. But you can get away with just playing that melody over the solo, and fill in the caps with maybe some alternate picking or economy picking.. sweep your way there.. maybe tap? THere’s lots you can do to get from one point to another. But usually, the same melody or notes seem to appear in the landing positions inthe solo. And since you can play the same notes all over the fretboard, you can easily expand your licks alll over the place by playing the same melody on another string 2 octaves higher or whatever. It is literally the same notes, but I bet the casual listener wont catch that, and the ones who do are just gonna know that you know your theory rather well.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Isaac Moss

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Thanks for all the advice guys, I feel a bit stupid for not thinking melody mainly but I probably need to incorporate one. I’m. It very good at playing what I hear although I do practice it every day so hopefully something will come out! I’ve thrown in some other stuff, a big horrific 😂unison bend sequence kinda like bat country and few repeating licks I’m moving around which is kinda like melody I suppose and a lot more tapping.

Jake Arnold

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Traverse City
I usually start with just trying sing out a base melody and then once I put that on the guitar I will try to dance around that theme and figure out some cool stuff to put around it, but I’d say most of the time (since I’m not very good with theory) I do end up singing out most of the main parts of my solos.
I don’t know if this will help you at all, but I also like to think of a guitar solo kind of like a book. You want there to be an introduction, then introduce a “problem”, have it climax and then make a resolution for it. That might help you break it into sections so you don’t feel like you are trying to make this one big thing that overloads you all at once.
Sorry if that sounds like it way over complicates it, like I said I’m not very good with theory and that’s kinda how I break it down in my head. Haha
It of course differs with each song and the length of your solo but I found that it helps me make it fun when I’m getting frustrated. 🙂

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Good that you mention that. Make sure you listen to the song before you write the solo. A solo usually is like 10-20% of the song and it should compliment the song well(in other words it should fit the song). A solo that is great on its own but does not really fit the song (or doesn’t fit the vibe of the backingtrack you play over) is usually kind of a bad solo IMHO😅