• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Some Life Advice - Be Proud Of Yourself

J

Jak Angelescu

Hey everyone...

Syn and I have talked a lot about his newer visions with this school. And so with all of what he said kept in my mind, I've learned a lot of things that I wanted to share with you all. This isn't guitar related at all, but I hope you get something from it.

Most of you know about my blood glucose issue I've had my whole life. I posted about my successful landmark on Instagram that for once, I'm no longer pre-diabetic. Since I was a child, I was hooked on sugar and detrimental eating habits. I was prediabetic at 14, and stayed that way with every single blood test. I couldn't kick the sugar habit, still. Until one night I had a frightening episode where I said "I think it happened. I'm probably diabetic now."
Immediately I kicked all processed sugars and processed carbs and delved deep into studies to heal myself. Not only did I finally balance out my blood glucose, I lost weight and found a happier way of life.
Addiction is not fucking easy. If you or anyone you know struggles with it, you know how much that no matter how hard you try, it defines you. It becomes you and consumes you.
However, not everyone has the strength to fight it, and not everyone wins that fight if they choose to fight it.

Holly's dad was an alcoholic since his young teenage years. Even after multiple trips to the hospital and being told his body was damaged, he continued to drown his sadness in the bottle. Now even with cirrhosis of the liver, he isn't even trying to change his ways. A few other students on here that are very close to me have lost (or could lose still) someone in their family due to overdosing.

When you have an addiction, deep down inside you know you're dying everyday. But what you may not know is how much it hurts those around you who watch you die everyday.

Guys, girls, dolls, kittens, gentlemen....

Life is seriously not easy. We are drowning ourselves in addictions, mindless technology, stale social media and more, just to try to numb the pain we all deep down inside are facing. Maybe you go to sleep at night feeling lost. Maybe you sleep next to someone you're not happy with. Maybe you feel lonely and alone.

But what I want you all to know is that this life does NOT have to define you. It does NOT have to be your "norm". If you have conquered an addiction, broke off a toxic relationship, told your maniacal boss to go fuck themselves, or anything at all that sets you on a path to a better life, I want you to know - no matter how big or small- be proud of yourself.

I'm proud of you.

If ANY of you are struggling with depression, take some time for yourself. Get the fuck off the bottle, the pills, the sugar, the needle, the abuse and start being alive. Because I want you to live. And I don't want you to just live; I want you to thrive.

G

Gemma G.S.

I didn't know about this part of you, but I'm SO fucking proud of you, Jak!!

Life can just... totally suck ass, sometimes. But we have to find ways to healthily push through all of it and come out stronger! ❤❤

Edited to add, in case it was implied somehow by accident: totally not saying it's easy for people with addiction to stop. I haven't dealt with it myself, but I've had my fair share of picking up friends off the street because theirs overcame them. It is in NO WAY easy to stop shit like that. But it's worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    Wow, Jak! Truly inspiring words! I am proud of you and your journey.
    Thankfully, I never had any addiction, but I had an aunt who was an alcoholic and a heavy smoker, and she eventually developed a liver cancer and didn't survive. It consumes the person, and it is very hard for them to let go of those harmful things, especially because those things are usually a way that people who are suffering find to relieve all the bad feelings.
    I struggle with my mental health and I related a lot to some things you said, so, I just wanna say that we can get better and we don't have to be ashamed of asking for help. Creating healthy habits can be very hard, but if you manage to do so, you will see yourself feeling better (ever since I started to pay more attention to what I eat on a daily basis and started to exercise at least 3 times a week, I've been feeling better - not only physically, but mentally as well).
    One last thing I'd like to say: pay attention to your friends; they might be struggling with something. And also: don't be harsh on yourself; life is already hard, give yourself a break.

Last edited:

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    It's so weird that you posted this, as I've been noticing a lot that I have become pretty dependant on Alcohol since the beginning of lockdown - I used to work every weekend as a DJ & I got to watch everyone enjoy themselves & get drunk when I missed friends birthdays. Weddings, New Year etc, Always away from my Fiance. I took that lifestyle for 5 years & when I finally got free of that job it's like the reins are off and I'm making up for lost time 😂 But I feel like I'm overdoing it.

If I'm stressed it's always in my mind as a coping mechanism, I feel myself almost counting down the days until Saturday so I can finnish my lessons & relax with 'A few beers'- that always ends up being too many. I've always felt like I'm just addicted to escapism in general - things that get me out of my own head - practicing, learning music, teaching etc - But alcohol is also very addictive, just in a detrimental way. Like I don't wake up every morning shaking or needing it, but I notice that my mental relationship with it seems very strong, almost romanticized at times. Idk if I just have a complex about it being an issue because my Fiance doesn't drink? 🤔

Also, that's amazing that you managed to sort out your Health the way you did and get on track with things. It must have took an insane amount of willpower! 🤟

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    You have no idea how much I needed to read this right now. I've got an addiction that isn't chemical that is harming me. I'm working so hard every day not to relapse back into it. But god it's so hard. Thank you for sharing your story. This school really is a family. Much love. ❤️❤️❤️
    Whatever is your addiction, the first step you already took: you acknowledged the problem. I really hope things will get better for you and that you don't relapse. But also: recovering is not a continuous upward line, you know? It's normal to have bad days during the process and feel like you took a step back sometimes, so don't feel guilty about it. Stay well. ❤

Synner Endless Summer Collection

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    It's so weird that you posted this, as I've been noticing a lot that I have become pretty dependant on Alcohol since the beginning of lockdown - I used to work every weekend as a DJ & I got to watch everyone enjoy themselves & get drunk when I missed friends birthdays. Weddings, New Year etc, Always away from my Fiance. I took that lifestyle for 5 years & when I finally got free of that job it's like the reins are off and I'm making up for lost time 😂 But I feel like I'm overdoing it.

If I'm stressed it's always in my mind as a coping mechanism, I feel myself almost counting down the days until Saturday so I can finnish my lessons & relax with 'A few beers'- that always ends up being too many. I've always felt like I'm just addicted to escapism in general - things that get me out of my own head - practicing, learning music, teaching etc - But alcohol is also very addictive, just in a detrimental way. Like I don't wake up every morning shaking or needing it, but I notice that my mental relationship with it seems very strong, almost romanticized at times. Idk if I just have a complex about it being an issue because my Fiance doesn't drink? 🤔

Also, that's amazing that you managed to sort out your Health the way you did and get on track with things. It must have took an insane amount of willpower! 🤟
    I kinda understand this. During the first years of my adulthood, I started to drink a lot "for fun", with friends or by myself. But then one day I got really sick and passed out, and realized I was just trying to avoid certain things in my life. So, I went to therapy. I hope you can figure out what's behind your drinking habit and solve any issues you might have.

Yakun

Garage band Groupie
    May 3, 2021
    Bat Country
    Hey everyone...

Syn and I have talked a lot about his newer visions with this school. And so with all of what he said kept in my mind, I've learned a lot of things that I wanted to share with you all. This isn't guitar related at all, but I hope you get something from it.

Most of you know about my blood glucose issue I've had my whole life. I posted about my successful landmark on Instagram that for once, I'm no longer pre-diabetic. Since I was a child, I was hooked on sugar and detrimental eating habits. I was prediabetic at 14, and stayed that way with every single blood test. I couldn't kick the sugar habit, still. Until one night I had a frightening episode where I said "I think it happened. I'm probably diabetic now."
    Immediately I kicked all processed sugars and processed carbs and delved deep into studies to heal myself. Not only did I finally balance out my blood glucose, I lost weight and found a happier way of life.
    Addiction is not fucking easy. If you or anyone you know struggles with it, you know how much that no matter how hard you try, it defines you. It becomes you and consumes you.
    However, not everyone has the strength to fight it, and not everyone wins that fight if they choose to fight it.

Holly's dad was an alcoholic since his young teenage years. Even after multiple trips to the hospital and being told his body was damaged, he continued to drown his sadness in the bottle. Now even with cirrhosis of the liver, he isn't even trying to change his ways. A few other students on here that are very close to me have lost (or could lose still) someone in their family due to overdosing.

When you have an addiction, deep down inside you know you're dying everyday. But what you may not know is how much it hurts those around you who watch you die everyday.

Life is seriously not easy. We are drowning ourselves in addictions, mindless technology, stale social media and more, just to try to numb the pain we all deep down inside are facing. Maybe you go to sleep at night feeling lost. Maybe you sleep next to someone you're not happy with. Maybe you feel lonely and alone.

But what I want you all to know is that this life does NOT have to define you. It does NOT have to be your "norm". If you have conquered an addiction, broke off a toxic relationship, told your maniacal boss to go fuck themselves, or anything at all that sets you on a path to a better life, I want you to know - no matter how big or small- be proud of yourself.

I'm proud of you.

If ANY of you are struggling with depression, take some time for yourself. Get the fuck off the bottle, the pills, the sugar, the needle, the abuse and start being alive. Because I want you to live. And I don't want you to just live; I want you to thrive.
    Well said, Angelescu!! Ya I think everyone should value their life and others' lives too no matter what their background is or anything. In my opinion, one big problem that leads to other problems I find is fear because people tend to worry just too much about things and then try to flush it out with addictions like alcohol and stuff to distract them of their worries. I've struggled with things like this too. Not alcohol because I don't drink, but things like gaming. These unhealthy choices will just worsen and is not the way to go at all. No one should have to fear being alive. It's best to try and make an effort in solving your problems by like talking with close relatives or even online with people who can give great advice and help you get out of your situation then to give up your life to addictions. I highly doubt that not even one person can help you. I think you can connect it with guitar. Like for example, you're not going to get better if you don't at least make an effort to. Life isn't easy and no one said it will be which is why it takes effort but it's definitely worth the effort. I hope that all that I've said so far makes sense and hope this helps you guys. I too am still going through challenges but am willing to be confident and take these challenges up.

Take care, everyone.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Thanks, Jak. Definitely in a "situational depression" funk. Some for reasons you know, and some you don't (one that NO ONE knows, and that's part of the problem). I eat my darkness. Even when I get on a diet and lose the weight, it all comes back. And yes, my family worries about me, and those who never battled don't understand why I don't "just stop overeating." And that starts another cycle of guilt and depression.

I have my first date with a therapist at the end of May (earliest appointment). I hate how I look, and next week I'm taking my fat ass to the beach, next to my skinny wife. I'm going to loathe the pictures, but I know when I come back, I start my journey to fixing the problem instead of the symptoms.

Thanks for the encouragement. You're always aces like that, 💜💜💜💜🖤
    (4 purple hearts because purple fucking rules. One black heart for the metal of it all)

Batbia

Music Theory Bragger
  • Jan 11, 2021
    Brazil
    So
    Hey everyone...

I'm proud of you.

I can't imagine how hard it is to get rid of an addiction, so know that I'm SO proud of you not only for your progress, but also for having the strength to share this with us 🖤

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Whenever I get down deep enough feeling like I cant get out I read the heroin diaries. It really opens your eyes and you realize even your biggest rock stars felt that rage and battle you fight everyday.
    I enjoyed that one, although winding up locked in the closet with an eightball and a shotgun every twelve pages seemed a bit redundant, lol!

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy
    Really proud of you Jak! 🖤🖤
    I haven't got an addiction to alchool or stuff like that, quite the contrary on that side. But I struggle a lot with my mental health and I eat in a totally unhealthy way (yeah,I know, "but you are skinny"...I learned that it doesn't mean anything and my blood tests and cholesterol and triglycerides don't lie.) and I can't kick that ( so maybe this is an addiction in the end) and stop eating what I know is not healthy for me. I considered multiple times seeing a therapist for both my issues but in the end I never do it.
    A friend of mine nearly became anorexic because of depression and self image issues, it was so scary and it fucking sucks.
    This community and guitar playing helped me a lot with the mental health tho, so I'm really greatful for all of you 🖤 I hope we can all become the best versions of ourselves and kick life's butt right back 💪🤘💚💚💚🖤🖤🖤

Last edited:

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Glad to hear you're doing better. Sugar is one of the most evil substances but unfortunately often gets overlooked in terms of addiction and such. I'm a sweet tooth myself and very much taught myself and have been told I should watch what I eat. It was definitely a struggle, especially during my teens, because I love chocolate and licorice so that's not the best in terms of sugar in take. For chocolate i try to get 70+% cacao bars because less sugar. There also all these little things I try to watch like not eat too much fruit and such. Unlike what some of you may think, I have never been addicted to alcohol. I'm very good at limiting myself there and only drink in company(granted the company is online sometimes at the moment but still).

Besides that, Therapy is absolutely amazing for me. That helps me deal with like the more 'dark emotions' which is kinda helpful for me because i tend to push those away and continuously look a the good things while the good and bad should coexist to properly deal with the bad shit (for me it's a trauma and a couple of other things). I'm also trying to not feel guilty all the time and blame myself for everything because I'm like the easiest person to guilt trip you'll ever meet :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

beatrix

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Sep 19, 2020
    Italy
    Hey everyone...

I'm proud of you.

Thank you Jak for this amazing text...❤️❤️
    i never had addictions problems but problems related to depression, eating disorders, and other disorders...life is not easy at all, my familiar situation is not the easiest but i’m never giving up. (even if sometimes it’s too hard...)

we must be strong, life is NOT easy for NO ONE! life is hard, everyone has problems and his struggles...we must hold on, we must fight with all our strength, everything passes. and if it doesn’t go away, there’s ALWAYS a solution to find happiness.

be strong, guys, i believe in you.❤️❤️

Augusto Abreu

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Brazil
    Hey everyone...

I'm proud of you.

All the best for you Jak, for you and everybody else! Those who feel like needing help, get in touch with those close to you, and if necessary, find a good psychotherapist, there are ppl out there that work helping others!

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I enjoyed that one, although winding up locked in the closet with an eightball and a shotgun every twelve pages seemed a bit redundant, lol!
    It's very graphic. When I saw the movie and saw that scene I think they they a great job visualizing the room. Exactly how I thought it'd look reading the book. But that's part of realizing how deep he was. And he's been like 25 years sober now.

That means he relapsed again after the journals were written. He still went up and down another 15 years

Reactions: Ed Seith