• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Someone knows how to record guitar covers?

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Hey dude! No worries, recording is one of my specialities! Okay so there are different ways to start recording. I will go with the assumption that you are interested in a simple home studio setting

So far that you will mainly require 3 things(not counting guitar):
    -A soundcard
    -A daw
    -A decent computer

Alright so, let me break them down to you!

-A soundcard is an external machine that will serve to convert your audio signal so that your computer can recieve it. No need to go with anything fancy, there are a lot of budget friendly options out there like the focusrite or other brands.

- The DAW is the software that will be required to receive the signal and that will help you record, edit, mix, etc.... there are a lot of great options out there that will do the trick. Personnally, I use pro tools and logic but these can be expensive and there are cheaper options like reaper, cubase, etc that are gonna do the trick just fine. Within those DAW you will be able to find amp simulations or tones or whatever that will help mold the sound of your guitar. But if youre not happy with those, there are plenty of high quality simulations or else that you can buy from third parties and make them work as plug ins into your DAW. an exemple that comes to mind is neural dsp.

- A decent computer will be necessary as recording guitars and running the DAW smoothly will require power from your computer. So if you have an old computer with windows 98 on it, lets just say you will be very limited. Now PC or MAC is a question of preference. None is really better than the other. i prefer mac for logic but thats just my personal preferences. You just need to be aware that you will need a computer powerful enough adapted for your workflow!

But if all you want is to do basic covers and justfilm yourself with your phone, thats gonna be fine! Nobody here is going to criticize the quality any of it so.. its up to you!

Let me know if you need anything more or if i wasnt clear!

Last edited:
    Reactions: idssdi and Ed Seith

nasankholin

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 18, 2019
    A Coruña, Spain
    Hey dude! No worries, recording is one of my specialities! Okay so there are different ways to start recording. I will go with the assumption that you are interested in a simple home studio setting

So far that you will mainly require 3 things(not counting guitar):
    -A soundcard
    -A daw
    -A decent computer

Alright so, let me break them down to you!

-A soundcard is an external machine that will serve to convert your audio signal so that your computer can recieve it. No need to go with anything fancy, there are a lot of budget friendly options out there like the focusrite or other brands.

- The DAW is the software that will be required to receive the signal and that will help you record, edit, mis, etc.... there are a lot of great options out there that will do the trick. Personnally, I use pro tools and logic but these can be expensive and there are cheaper options like reaper, cubase, etc that are gonna do the trick just fine. Within those DAW you will be able to find amp simulations or tones or whatever that will help mold the sound of your guitar. But if youre not happy with those, there are plenty of high quality simulations or else that you can buy from third parties and make them work as plug ins into your DAW. an exemple that comes to mind is neural dsp.

- A decent computer will be necessary as recording guitars and running the DAW smoothly will require power from your computer. So if you have an old computer with windows 98 on it, lets just say you will be very limited. Now PC or MAC is a question of preference. None is really better than the other. i prefer mac for logic but thats just my personal preferences. You just to be aware that you will need a computer powerful enough adapted for your workflow!

But if all you want is to do basic covers and justfilm yourself with your phone, thats gonna be fine! Nobody here is going to criticize the quality any of it so.. its up to you!

Let me know if you need anything more or if i wasnt clear!
    HOOOOOOOOLY MAAAAAAAAAN thanks for that LONG answer you are the best <33333333 love you
    I'll probably buy a focusrite scarlet and use Reaper to start trying things
    Thanks again man:3 <3

• Love
    Reactions: Rad Synner

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    HOOOOOOOOLY MAAAAAAAAAN thanks for that LONG answer you are the best <33333333 love you
    I'll probably buy a focusrite scarlet and use Reaper to start trying things
    Thanks again man:3 <3
    My pleasure man! :) I always like to try and give as much of a complete answer as possible! I really appreciate the sentiment!

Focusrite scarlett and repaer are great choices, With those you will be more than fine!

I remain available if you need anything more :)

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I second the phone comment, if you just want to make covers so you can get feedback here a phone will do just fine.

As for soundcards, I have a presonus audiobox and it does the job just fine. Most of the soundcards also come with a daw attached to it. However, it's usually a limited version of the daw.

Reactions: Dominik Gräber
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Hey there! I Just wanna throw my two Cents in there. If you only want to record your guitar you May Not need an additional Soundcard, depending on your Amp. Some Amps give you the Option to Connect them to your PC. With those Amps you can usually record directly without a Soundcard or a microphone.

That's how i do all my Covers, using a Boss Katana AMP. My First AMP, the Fender Mustang Had the Same Option. What are you using? :)

Last edited: