• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Something I wanted to share with everyone :)

Kat the metalhead

Music Theory Bragger
  • Jan 20, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    I thought I’d share this story in hopes of helping others or give a different view on situation’s like this.

So for almost half a year I stoped playing guitar or didn’t play much at all cuz I wasn’t happy with where I was at, sad I couldn’t shred or do crazy solos and thought that rhythm guitar is nothing special.

Not trying to brag at all but I have always been super happy with my rhythm guitar skills until I thought I wouldn’t been seen or wasn’t good enough since I wasn’t shredding like crazy and felt I should have been better since I’ve been playing for almost ten years.

during this break I took time to think and reflect. I came to the conclusion that I do actually really enjoy playing rhythm and I’m happy with how far I’ve come. the only reason I wanted to shred so bad was because that’s what others expected of me and I was stuck on listening to toxic guitarists saying that you have to shred to be good.

rhythm guitar 100% takes skills and time to learn just like lead. Only you can decide how you want to play don’t let others make you think your not good enough!

take time and reflect on how you want to play and what styles of playing make you most happy. Just take a moment to congratulate yourself on how far you’ve come :)

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Absolutely. You don't have a song without rhythm, and lead guitar without a song is just boring widdly-widdly.

Rhythm is the difference between the guitarist on a stage (whether in a bar or a stadium) and a guitarist on YouTube or Instagram - there's absolute talent in both, but they're not always interchangeable.

Happy being a rhythm guitarist, and supremely respected for it:
    James Hetfield (possibly the very best in heavy music)
    Zacky V (he only plays leads when he has to)
    Malcolm Young

And many others, that's just off the top of my head.

JakAngelescu

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Aug 12, 2022
    I love this Kat!! And there's no shame in it. I resonate with you so much. But to be honest while the lead guitarists always get the front cover, a majority of these famous bands have songs written by the RHYTHM guitarist. Malcom Young, Eric Peterson, Dave Mustaine...
    Yes they can play a little lead too but they're the key song writers of the band. Even Jon Schaffer of Iced Earth is an INSANE rhythm guitarist and he writes all the songs.

No shame. I love that you came here to tell us this!

Little Laguna05

Free Bird Player
    Feb 16, 2023
    I thought I’d share this story in hopes of helping others or give a different view on situation’s like this.

So for almost half a year I stoped playing guitar or didn’t play much at all cuz I wasn’t happy with where I was at, sad I couldn’t shred or do crazy solos and thought that rhythm guitar is nothing special.

Not trying to brag at all but I have always been super happy with my rhythm guitar skills until I thought I wouldn’t been seen or wasn’t good enough since I wasn’t shredding like crazy and felt I should have been better since I’ve been playing for almost ten years.

during this break I took time to think and reflect. I came to the conclusion that I do actually really enjoy playing rhythm and I’m happy with how far I’ve come. the only reason I wanted to shred so bad was because that’s what others expected of me and I was stuck on listening to toxic guitarists saying that you have to shred to be good.

rhythm guitar 100% takes skills and time to learn just like lead. Only you can decide how you want to play don’t let others make you think your not good enough!

take time and reflect on how you want to play and what styles of playing make you most happy. Just take a moment to congratulate yourself on how far you’ve come :)
    You should not have to worry about what others say. You should do what YOU want, and what YOU enjoy. I the only few rhythm guitarist I know of who are absolutely incredible are Zacky V, and Jinxx from Black Veil Brides. I honestly just want to play guitar, so I wouldn’t mind if I was playing rhythm or lead.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Jeremy Healey

Hot Topic Tourer
    Legend+
    Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Newfoundland and Labrador
    It is so easy to get caught up in thinking that everyone should be able to play ridiculous solos and stuff, having such easy access to seeing other people make it look so effortless via social media and such. I often try to remind myself not to compare myself to those people. It frustrates me and makes me have similar feelings.
    The only person you should compare yourself to, is you. When I look back at old videos I've made, I can see my own progression and it gives me a good sense of pride knowing that I have progressed. It can be hard to see in the moment as it often doesnt happen instantly, so I find posting your playing and practicing helps with that.
    As long as youre trying and having fun, you kick ass! :rock-hand:

Jamie London

GYNNER
    Staff member
  • Nov 11, 2019
    California
    synner.com
    Great stuff Kat! And spot on! Especially when you look at some of the classic legends like Keith Richards. That dude’s entire playing style is based off of blues rhythm! Yes he can throw in some great (yet messy) lead stuff when the need arises but at its core, the stones is Keith’s legendary rhythm and groove.

Marc Bolan from T-Rex wasn’t a great lead player, I mean tbh, Marc really wasn’t even that great of a player from a technical stand point. Very basic for the most part, but he made what he was doing sound good and the songs he was writing worked with his guitar parts which were mostly more rhythm based and he had a hell of a career.

Classic GNR is another example where it’s like, Slash is great, and nobody can take away what he does, but without Izzy holding it all up and together, it’s not gonna be the same.

Even Dime! Yea his solos are next level but the man’s riffs were absolutely CRUSHING. It’s all important and it’s important to focus on what you know that you want to do. Of course it’s good to learn all you can, but everyone has their area of specialty! :)