• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Songs that give you goosebumps/make you emotional

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Hey guys! Hope you're All Keeping Safe & Well

So I was sitting Jamming along to the last half of 'Exist' by A7X today and out of nowhere, the song just 'got me' (if you know what I mean) Full on goosebumps with the ending Synth parts & NDT's speech, lump in my throat, butterflies in my stomach, the absolute works - especially at the big Major Chord at the end!

I always find it fascinating how songs can have this almost drug like effect on us.

I thought I'd make a short thread on this because I'm really curious to see what others share - What song/songs give you a strong physical/emotional reaction and (if youre comfortable sharing) why?

Cheers!

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Excellent thread!!!

When I read your description, I immediately thought of Blood Upon The Snow by Hozier and Bear McCreary

This song was written specifically for the game God Of War Ragnarök.

From a song writing perspective, I love that the song feels like a constant riser. It starts very slow and somber but it builds up little by little right up to the climax of the song with low choir coming in and the orchestration. It just gives me absolute chills.

On a personal note, to me the song is as powerful as it is because of how I experience God Of War (2018) and God Of War Ragnarök. I played those games in particular more vulnerable moments of my life. Unsure about a lot of thing, disappointed in others... and just the whole story portrayed in those 2 titles really affect me on a deeper level. I can't quite explain it. I can only say that I really love that song and what it represents!

bxsimpson13

New Student
    Jun 2, 2022
    Wisconsin
    I totally agree with you, Chris. Exist is literally on constant repeat on my playlist right now.

However, a few other songs that give me chills are Soothsayer by Buckethead (instrumental but it's insanely emotional playing) and I would also say The Show Must Go On by Queen considering the circumstances around the song and the whole mood.

Also, some music videos really give you goosebumps when listening along with the song. Great videos to watch like this are Rosenrot or Sonne by Rammstein or the all-time classic, November Rain.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    NDT in exist does it for me too, but there are plenty of others. The one that comes easiest to mind is the great Randy Rhoads at the end of Ozzy’s “Tonight” off the Diary of a Madman album. The outro solo hits it hard and gets me every time, even 40 years after I first heard it. Randy, man. Goddamn.

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Excellent thread!!!

When I read your description, I immediately thought of Blood Upon The Snow by Hozier and Bear McCreary

This song was written specifically for the game God Of War Ragnarök.

From a song writing perspective, I love that the song feels like a constant riser. It starts very slow and somber but it builds up little by little right up to the climax of the song with low choir coming in and the orchestration. It just gives me absolute chills.

On a personal note, to me the song is as powerful as it is because of how I experience God Of War (2018) and God Of War Ragnarök. I played those games in particular more vulnerable moments of my life. Unsure about a lot of thing, disappointed in others... and just the whole story portrayed in those 2 titles really affect me on a deeper level. I can't quite explain it. I can only say that I really love that song and what it represents!
    Thanks for sharing Radu!

Going to give this a listen for sure 👌 One of my students is really into GOW and the initial story of it seems really interesting! That's really interesting how you can pinpoint the Music to that time in your life too, it just shows how much it can impact things

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    NDT in exist does it for me too, but there are plenty of others. The one that comes easiest to mind is the great Randy Rhoads at the end of Ozzy’s “Tonight” off the Diary of a Madman album. The outro solo hits it hard and gets me every time, even 40 years after I first heard it. Randy, man. Goddamn.

Cheers for this Ed!

Looking forward to getting into this one. Love the fact that's its a solo aswell! 👌

Reactions: Jamie London

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    I totally agree with you, Chris. Exist is literally on constant repeat on my playlist right now.

However, a few other songs that give me chills are Soothsayer by Buckethead (instrumental but it's insanely emotional playing) and I would also say The Show Must Go On by Queen considering the circumstances around the song and the whole mood.

Also, some music videos really give you goosebumps when listening along with the song. Great videos to watch like this are Rosenrot or Sonne by Rammstein or the all-time classic, November Rain.
    Thanks for sharing this Bx!

It's my go to commuting song just now and it's getting me really hyped for the new album 😍

I'll definitely give those tunes a listen - I can definitely see how the Queen tune would hit hard too 👌

Jeremy Healey

Hot Topic Tourer
    Legend+
    Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Newfoundland and Labrador

The song for me would definitely have to be Goddamn I’m Dead Again by Sum41. I’m a sucker for harmonizing guitars and this is full of it. Half the song is just guitar solo and it absolutely resonates with me. I’ve never been one for lyrics very much and I find that the instruments “sing” to me instead. This one ticks all those boxes for me.

Other than being fast as fuck, I also just find it gives me such a happy vibe and really gets me moving. Elevates my mood and motivates me! All of this was exponentially multiplied back when I seen them live over the summer and they played this song right near the last of their set when I figured the show was over (other than fat lip being the last song) and damn did it ever bring a tear to my eye.

I also love the fact that the band invited a bunch of their fans to make this video and it just looks like an all around amazing time
    Getting goosebumps just writing this :explode-skull:

Last edited:

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Gonna throw another one out there. Alright, two.

one is the part of A7x’s “Victim” that starts with “So don’t need your salvation, and promises unkind.” That song may also have my favorite Syn solo, even though Brother Syn hates the song.

Second would be Steve Vai’s “For the Love of God,” when he goes into the insane fast wah wah part.

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Gonna throw another one out there. Alright, two.

one is the part of A7x’s “Victim” that starts with “So don’t need your salvation, and promises unkind.” That song may also have my favorite Syn solo, even though Brother Syn hates the song.

Second would be Steve Vai’s “For the Love of God,” when he goes into the insane fast wah wah part.
    Ahh yes! That's honestly the exact same part of Victim that gets me too 😍 and the 'Save it for another time' part. I genuinely think the Vitcim solo is one of Syn's most underrated - just a really raw emotional solo that jives so well with the backing piano/harmony - a heart wrencher rather than a face melter. Just amazing note choice and an underrated song in general - I actually can't believe Syn hates it 😅

It makes me think of the Major part in 'Tension ' too - another criminally underrated tune & solo imo

I'm forever needing to listen to more Vai so I'll check FTLOG out too 👌 Cheers!

bxsimpson13

New Student
    Jun 2, 2022
    Wisconsin
    Ahh yes! That's honestly the exact same part of Victim that gets me too 😍 and the 'Save it for another time' part. I genuinely think the Vitcim solo is one of Syn's most underrated - just a really raw emotional solo that jives so well with the backing piano/harmony - a heart wrencher rather than a face melter. Just amazing note choice and an underrated song in general - I actually can't believe Syn hates it 😅

It makes me think of the Major part in 'Tension ' too - another criminally underrated tune & solo imo

I'm forever needing to listen to more Vai so I'll check FTLOG out too 👌 Cheers!
    I love shredding more than most people, and Syn's shredding especially. That said, his solo at the end of Danger Line almost made me cry the first time I heard it, and I don't cry. Besides being an extremely underrated song, that solo is god-level, and the lyrics leading up to it always get me.

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland

The song for me would definitely have to be Goddamn I’m Dead Again by Sum41. I’m a sucker for harmonizing guitars and this is full of it. Half the song is just guitar solo and it absolutely resonates with me. I’ve never been one for lyrics very much and I find that the instruments “sing” to me instead. This one ticks all those boxes for me.

Other than being fast as fuck, I also just find it gives me such a happy vibe and really gets me moving. Elevates my mood and motivates me! All of this was exponentially multiplied back when I seen them live over the summer and they played this song right near the last of their set when I figured the show was over (other than fat lip being the last song) and damn did it ever bring a tear to my eye.

I also love the fact that the band invited a bunch of their fans to make this video and it just looks like an all around amazing time
    Getting goosebumps just writing this :explode-skull:
    Thanks for sharing Jeremy!

I'll need to check this one out definitely 👌 Ah that must've been amazing to witness the song live aswell! I feel like when you're at a gig the same songs hit twice as much 😍

Kat the metalhead

Music Theory Bragger
  • Jan 20, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    For me it’s a tie between my immortal by evanescence and I don’t love you by my chemical romance.

i grew up listening to evanescence and that song has always made me emotional and has even brought me to tears. Amy lees voice is so haunting and beautiful especially paired with her piano playing. I almost cried hearing the song live yesterday haha

as for I don’t love you by my chemical romance the lyrics and the song as a whole is beyond powerful and pretty emotional. The song is about the bands relationships with certain people like haters and showing how they survived and faced all the haters and moved on. I relate to this so much from past bullying and trauma I had and it makes me feel so strong

Jamie London

GYNNER
    Staff member
  • Nov 11, 2019
    California
    synner.com
    For me it will always be “Forever” by The Beach Boys. That is the most harmonically beautiful song I’ve ever heard (Brian Wilson’s words which I 1000% agree with). Love songs can be cheesy and get over done. But not this one. It’s on of the very few, if not the only song I’d consider perfect in every way. Chills every single time (and sometimes tears too) and I’ve been listening to it since I was 11. I hold it in such high regard that I’ve never applied it to any relationships that I’ve been in because historically I’ve almost felt like it would profane the song a bit. Maybe one day though! Dennis Wilson is oftentimes overshadowed by everyone else in The Beach Boys, but my two favorite BB songs are both songs by him, including this one. A brilliant, tragic man who wrote the most beautiful song I’ve ever heard or will ever hear.