• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Starting bits.

Cleo.Black

One Stringer
Jul 5, 2022
Hey lovely helpful and knowledgeable people.
I have been researching (googling, let's face it... googing.. no literature review is going on here) for like a month and I've decided to buy the Synyster Custom S black and gold gloss along with the boss katana 50 amp to start my brand new to guitar adventure. I have a very personal reason for my desire to learn right now and being a ridiculously unashamed Syn fangirl for like 20 years, a Custom S is my weapon of choice and lots of the lovely people here seem to recommend this amp for home playing.
Anyhow... other than a cable for connecting guitar and amp, picks and a protective case and a pair of headphones do I need anything else? Anything at all? It's all in my basket ready to checkout.
I'm learning from scratch via the school here which is pretty awesome. I'm doing it alongside returning to nursing (I'm almost there!!!) and I'm so excited. If not somewhat overwhelmed.
Thank you for your patience and kindness with me. I love it here 😍💙🖤

Cleo.Black

One Stringer
Jul 5, 2022
You'll want a clip-on Snark tuner as well, unless the Katana has a built in one (and maybe even if it does). A string-winder and some cutting pliers for when you do your first string change (learn to do them yourself - it's important - we have videos to help).
Yes of course, thanks Ed. A tuner will be essential. I cannot believe that this is really happening. String changes sound scary but I'll take my lead from you as everything that everyone has said has been spot on so far. I guess I just buy the same strings that come with with guitar?

Reactions: Ed Seith

owen817

Garage band Groupie
  • Jan 24, 2022
    Fort Worth, TX
    Yes of course, thanks Ed. A tuner will be essential. I cannot believe that this is really happening. String changes sound scary but I'll take my lead from you as everything that everyone has said has been spot on so far. I guess I just buy the same strings that come with with guitar?
    Strings are a personal preference. I always put thicker strings on my guitars. some people put lighter strings.

Reactions: Alicia Willis
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Probably best and easiest to replace with the same strings for the first few times. Using different string guages on a guitar with a floating bridge (like your Floyd Rose) requires many additional adjustments.

Reactions: Alicia Willis

Cleo.Black

One Stringer
    Jul 5, 2022
    Probably best and easiest to replace with the same strings for the first few times. Using different string guages on a guitar with a floating bridge (like your Floyd Rose) requires many additional adjustments.
    Yeah, I think you're right. Once I start getting my head around something I am generally okay (except driving but that's neither here nor there) but I definitely don't need any extra complications whilst I am learning.

Cleo.Black

One Stringer
    Jul 5, 2022
    A tuner maybe a strap to play standing up , and I think you got it.
    Yes, a tuner for sure. I hadn't even thought of a strap. This is turning in to quite a mission! Still it will all be worth it when I can quit the day job and be all famous ha ha ha. I am obviously joking, I love my job 🙈😂😂
    Okay so I have on order
    Guitar
    Amp
    Amp cable thingy
    Clip on Tuner
    Picks (an assortment)

And I just need to decide on case/bag (the hard case is too big and I won't be taking it anywhere so I am hoping for a soft case, maybe a bass one to fit it)?
    Strap
    Headphones because let's face it, ain't no one wanting to hear me for a while. They can just hear my cussing instead.

owen817

Garage band Groupie
  • Jan 24, 2022
    Fort Worth, TX
    You will also need a 9V battery. The syn you picked out has active pickups. A bass bag would be too big for a guitar. Just look for a gig bag with a decent amount of pockets so you can put all your stuff in it on the go. I would also recommend a variety bag of dunlop picks. That way you can find what feels best for you. I have an assortment and I use them all for different song and techniques. Most of the time I use a tortex .88 or an ultex 1.0 sharp. Syn uses a .73 just in case. But remember that I have thick picks because I have thick strings. My schecter has Ernie Ball Beefy slinky strings, and my LTD has Skinny top beefy bottom strings. Also you might want to invest on a guitar stand or a wall mount just to protect your guitar from falling over. You will have to unplug your input cable from your guitar every time you're done playing to keep the battery from dying. I figered that out with my white LTD lol

Reactions: Ed Seith
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Cleo.Black

One Stringer
    Jul 5, 2022
    You will also need a 9V battery. The syn you picked out has active pickups. A bass bag would be too big for a guitar. Just look for a gig bag with a decent amount of pockets so you can put all your stuff in it on the go. I would also recommend a variety bag of dunlop picks. That way you can find what feels best for you. I have an assortment and I use them all for different song and techniques. Most of the time I use a tortex .88 or an ultex 1.0 sharp. Syn uses a .73 just in case. But remember that I have thick picks because I have thick strings. My schecter has Ernie Ball Beefy slinky strings, and my LTD has Skinny top beefy bottom strings. Also you might want to invest on a guitar stand or a wall mount just to protect your guitar from falling over. You will have to unplug your input cable from your guitar every time you're done playing to keep the battery from dying. I figered that out with my white LTD lol
    Wow, thanks so much for all of this. I really appreciate it. I ordered a multipack of different sizes of pick to try so I shall see what I like. Yes good call on the battery, I would have forgotten.

I did a little research on the guitar case/bag and people have said that standard cases don't seem to fit the shape and a few people said they use a bass bag instead? I'll have to look in to it a little more and maybe just get a stand to begin with. I am so excited!!!

OskarF

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Ahh okay. See I'm constantly learning from you all. I will see how it feels in my hands and go from there.
    I'd recommend going with thinner strings because they will be easier on your fingers. And i think it will allow you to much more efficiently develop your string bending technique, which is in my opinion one of the most important techniques to learn :)

Cleo.Black

One Stringer
    Jul 5, 2022
    I'd recommend going with thinner strings because they will be easier on your fingers. And i think it will allow you to much more efficiently develop your string bending technique, which is in my opinion one of the most important techniques to learn :)
    I will make a note of that and see how I get on. I'm all stressed because I don't have everything ready for when my baby arrives... ha ha.