• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Starting from scratch

Anna Taylor

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Nov 11, 2019
Österreich
Hell yeah! Thats awesome! I am glad you posted it! Dont worry about it being fluid yet. I heard the metronome in the back! Thats already awesome as it is! Show us how it goes over time!

Thank you! I definitely will! I'll try to get this as solid as I can over the next couple of days, and learn something more on top!
I figured if I want to do it right from the start, a metronome is the way to go haha

Reactions: Rad Synner

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Thank you! I definitely will! I'll try to get this as solid as I can over the next couple of days, and learn something more on top!
    I figured if I want to do it right from the start, a metronome is the way to go haha
    It really is! I sort of do the same thing but when I practice my rythm, i mostly due it with backing tracks! (I mostly practice songs thats why hahaha)

Anna Taylor

Nov 11, 2019
    Österreich
    It really is! I sort of do the same thing but when I practice my rythm, i mostly due it with backing tracks! (I mostly practice songs thats why hahaha)

Oh yeah, when it comes to playing chords and stuff, I have a solid understanding of what I'm doing and can play along to backing tracks and stuff! But the whole scale world is new to me lmao!

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Oh yeah, when it comes to playing chords and stuff, I have a solid understanding of what I'm doing and can play along to backing tracks and stuff! But the whole scale world is new to me lmao!
    Yeah and from what I know, its going to get more complicated but I guess thats why its recommended to go slowly hahahaha! Oh well. One scale at a time...

• Love
    Reactions: Anna Taylor
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Kai C

Nov 11, 2019
    Naha Okinawa
    I'm in the same boat, only been playing for a year myself and I feel like I've gotten to the same "few comfortable chords" and the major/minor scales. I pulled up an old shoulder injury in March and now playing the guitar is fucking painful so I've mostly stopped.
    Last week I picked up bass because it's way easier on my arm and it's helped me learn that thing I was missing with guitar - rhythm. I've been too focused on gear, tone, melody, speed/fluidity, etc that I never got down the basis of music - rhythm and groove.
    So the only thing I can recommend is getting behind the metronome and practicing your quarters, eighths, and sixteenths. Get behind a backing track and play, even if it's just root notes or basic chord progression, to the beat. Don't worry about how it sounds (for now). Just get in time and groove. Add new notes or chords when it gets too easy.

Reactions: Anna Taylor

Imactuallyadrummer

Campfire Attention Holder
    May 27, 2020
    Toronto, Ontario

I've been hesitant to post anything cause I felt so outclassed lol but this is a beginners thread so HERE I GO!!! This one I am just playing the D and C pentatonic scales (as per Lesson 29) with the backing track on 60%, while forcing myself to alternate pick. The first 4 bars are a bit sloppy, especially timing on the third bar (thankfully keeping time is one thing I'm decent at thanks to my username) but I also wanted to intentionally leave that in there - does anyone hear some of the "buzzing" on some of the notes? What causes that? Poor technique?

Also is my age showing? Because 1. I couldn't even figure out how to upload to YouTube, and 2. After I did I still can't figure out how to embed the video into the post :ROFLMAO:

Edit- Excellent it auto embeds lol

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    @Imactuallyadrummer hey dude! I am glad you posted this. This is a no judgment zone! First of, its great that you use a metronome! As you said yourself, being a drummer for sure helps with keeping time. The run was quite clean and smooth so keep on going! As for the buzzing, it might be a question of technique or maybe the guitar needs a bit of a setup, its a bit difficult to tell. maybe someone with a better ear than I could determine this better?

Also, if I can give you one little advice, when you are ready, I think you should use your pinky finger when you do this scale. It will feel weird and uneasy in the beginning but its going to pay off big time when you will need to get faster or more complicated stuff. So yeah my suggestion would be to impliment the pinky while you are practicing slow!

Other than that, great video, please keep on postng more!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Imactuallyadrummer

Campfire Attention Holder
    May 27, 2020
    Toronto, Ontario
    @Imactuallyadrummer hey dude! I am glad you posted this. This is a no judgment zone! First of, its great that you use a metronome! As you said yourself, being a drummer for sure helps with keeping time. The run was quite clean and smooth so keep on going! As for the buzzing, it might be a question of technique or maybe the guitar needs a bit of a setup, its a bit difficult to tell. maybe someone with a better ear than I could determine this better?

Also, if I can give you one little advice, when you are ready, I think you should use your pinky finger when you do this scale. It will feel weird and uneasy in the beginning but its going to pay off big time when you will need to get faster or more complicated stuff. So yeah my suggestion would be to impliment the pinky while you are practicing slow!

Other than that, great video, please keep on postng more!

Omg yes. The one really good thing about taking these videos is that I realize half of my fingers are dead weight 😂
    I will definitely do that! Thanks!

Anna Taylor

Nov 11, 2019
    Österreich

I've been hesitant to post anything cause I felt so outclassed lol but this is a beginners thread so HERE I GO!!! This one I am just playing the D and C pentatonic scales (as per Lesson 29) with the backing track on 60%, while forcing myself to alternate pick. The first 4 bars are a bit sloppy, especially timing on the third bar (thankfully keeping time is one thing I'm decent at thanks to my username) but I also wanted to intentionally leave that in there - does anyone hear some of the "buzzing" on some of the notes? What causes that? Poor technique?

Also is my age showing? Because 1. I couldn't even figure out how to upload to YouTube, and 2. After I did I still can't figure out how to embed the video into the post :ROFLMAO:

Edit- Excellent it auto embeds lol

I love that you posted this!!! I also don't feel like I'm in any way, shape or form capable to give any advice, but I can only agree with what @Radu-Cristian Perde said about the pinky finger! I force myself to use it as much as possible right now, and I'm sure it'll help out in the long run! Keep up the great work!

Anna Taylor

Nov 11, 2019
    Österreich
    I'm in the same boat, only been playing for a year myself and I feel like I've gotten to the same "few comfortable chords" and the major/minor scales. I pulled up an old shoulder injury in March and now playing the guitar is fucking painful so I've mostly stopped.
    Last week I picked up bass because it's way easier on my arm and it's helped me learn that thing I was missing with guitar - rhythm. I've been too focused on gear, tone, melody, speed/fluidity, etc that I never got down the basis of music - rhythm and groove.
    So the only thing I can recommend is getting behind the metronome and practicing your quarters, eighths, and sixteenths. Get behind a backing track and play, even if it's just root notes or basic chord progression, to the beat. Don't worry about how it sounds (for now). Just get in time and groove. Add new notes or chords when it gets too easy.

Thank you! I'll definitely keep this in mind! :)