• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Starting gear?

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I started in 1984 (ish) with a rented Fender Mustang and a tiny Peavey combo amp. The first guitar I owned was an Aria Pro II "Explorer" knockoff and a Sunn tube amp with a 1x12 and DOD Supra Distortion pedal. A couple years later, I bought my first "professional" guitar, a 1990 Ibanez RG550. I still have it.

Upvote 0

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    I started in 1984 (ish) with a rented Fender Mustang and a tiny Peavey combo amp. The first guitar I owned was an Aria Pro II "Explorer" knockoff and a Sunn tube amp with a 1x12 and DOD Supra Distortion pedal. A couple years later, I bought my first "professional" guitar, a 1990 Ibanez RG550. I still have it.
    Hold up… “rented” ?! You could freaking rent guitars back in the day ?! 🤯

Reactions: The Spectre
    Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Hold up… “rented” ?! You could freaking rent guitars back in the day ?! 🤯
    LOL. Yeah, it was a small local music store. They typically worked with the middle and high schools so students could rent violins and oboes and other shit they used in band and stuff, and so they rented old guitars and amps out, too. I think together it was $15/month and Mom thought that was worth it in case I wound up not sticking with it (there was precedent). After a few months, I bought the Aria from my cousin Bobby who lived like an hour away and rented the amp ($5/mo) until I bought the Sunn amp (also for $100) later that summer. From there it was pedals and stuff until I bought a Fender M-80 half stack and eventually the Roland GP-16 multi-effect unit and foot controller in 90 and 91.

Upvote 0

Eric Kane

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I started playing in college with a late 90s Squier Telecaster, a really small Danelectro combo amp, and a DOD Grunge pedal. I was kind of embarrassed by the amp at the time, but it actually didn't sound too bad, and I wish I would've kept it. That's the only piece of gear I've ever sold. I'm now a gear hoarder, and I have literally everything else I've ever bought (which is a LOT of stuff). I rebuilt and refinished the Telecaster a couple of years ago as a pandemic project. It was originally a boring poly finish plain blue, but now it's nitro inca silver metallic with all black hardware. I don't play it much at all, but I'll never get rid of it.

Upvote 0