• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Steve Vai whammy trick in new Polyphia song

Al7eX

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Apr 16, 2022
So I watched Polyphia’s new song Ego Death and it was absolutely incredible. It sounded amazing and Steve Vai was in it too and did a crazy cool solo and there was one whammy bar trick that blew me away. It was around 4 minutes and 12 seconds in the song. I looked at it slowly and thought it was a sweep harmonic into the whammy bar and staccato. I just couldn’t seem to get it and I was wondering if anyone else might know something about it?

Solution
He appears to be dipping the bar on the descending arpeggio, and then releasing it slowly for the ascending part, ending with the cha-cha-cha-cha accent of scraping the edge of the pick across one or two of the plain steel strings perpendicular. Cool song - great to see old and new playing in the same sandbox!

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    He appears to be dipping the bar on the descending arpeggio, and then releasing it slowly for the ascending part, ending with the cha-cha-cha-cha accent of scraping the edge of the pick across one or two of the plain steel strings perpendicular. Cool song - great to see old and new playing in the same sandbox!

Upvote 0
    Solution