• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

String Buzzing Problems

J

Jak Angelescu

Hello everyone! About a three weeks ago I started to notice my high E string buzzing on a couple of Frets. I didn’t think much of it but now it has gotten to a point where multiple strings are buzzing on multiple frets. I have some minor experience setting up guitars but nothing with a Floyd rose or any type Of locking system. I really don’t want to mess this guitar up and I don’t know if it would be best to take it to a luthier. I would love to get it set up exactly the same way that it came because it was perfect. But what do you guys think? Is it possible for me to try this on my own or should I take it to an expert?

Kevin Kwasneski

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
What state do you live in. Temperature changes can be hell on guitar necks. I don’t think you need a truss rod adjustment, but you can adjust your saddles and raise just ever so slightly. Write down how many turns to the bolt. This might help compensate. And throughout the year you could adjust it back down and see if it still buzzes. I live in a townhome with a basement. I keep all my guitars there because it stays around 75 throughout the entire year. Also it is not too dry down here either. Dryness can cause a ton of other problems on your fretboard.
Kevin

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I don’t hear the problem clearly, but I’m assuming it’s on the low frets? Changes in temp and humidity outside, like happens in fall and spring, can have a real and definite effect on a guitar set up with super-low action. The Floyd should not matter in this case. If I were you, I would try loosening the truss rod 1/4 turn,a nd see if it gets better over the next 24 hours. If it’s better but not yet RIGHT, loosen it another 1/4 turn and give it another 24 hours. That should resolve the issue.
    To LOOSEN the truss rod – looking at the guitar on a table or bench, with the bridge closest to you, and the neck farthest away, you would insert your allen key into the truss rod with the “L” arm leaning towards the thick strings, and turn it toward the thin strings. You can do this with the strings on and tuned up, but if you’re having a hard time, remove the locking nut screws across the whole nut, and lift the two inside strings (D and G) one notch outward to sit on top of the A and B strings while you work.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    That’s what happened to my revenger. The low strings buzzed. I’m sure it’s a truss rod adjustment. I was afraid at first myself now I’ll make that adjustment no problem.
    But to be safe maybe take it so they can properly show you how to make the adjustment? No better way to he shown how to do it right.