• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

String gauge

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    There's enough information online about which size is recommended for specific tunings, but what's your favourite?

My favourite varies on guitar and tuning.
    I have a guitar tuned to drop B at the moment, usually I don't go under C#. It has 11's on it, I might try 12 someday. They feel a bit soft but even the 10's stayed in tune once they were used to it.

I want to try a lighter gauge on my tele soon because it sounds messy. It has 10 on it now.
    Thinner strings are supposed to give a cleaner sound.

Moonrunner

Campfire Attention Holder
    Nov 11, 2019
    Galicia
    twitter.com
    In my own experience, i always used 10-52 for Drop D because that was Syn and Zacky used(M-Steel Series).
    For drop C I used 12-60. I really dig thicker bottoms and i had my metalcore era hahaha.
    I tried some others gauges, and about 2 years or so i decided to lower my gauge just a litte bit.
    Nowdays i got 10-46 for E Standard and 11-56 for Drop C. Even Still, I'm about to try 10-58 on Drop C (Horizon Devices one's)

With thicker gauges you got better bendinds as far as I´m concerned, but for me is also about the feel I get when playing.

Reactions: Lindsey
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Donovan Etue

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    Skinny Tops Heavy Bottoms 10-52 for Drop D and E Standard after watching the Ernie Ball series which I think was called the Inspired By series? Anyway I like having a pretty good bit of tension when playing in E and D standard. For my 2nd guitar which I swap in between D Standard and Drop C I've got a set of 12-56 which feels pretty damn good. I think the lightest gauge I tried out for E Standard early on was a set of 9-42 but the 42 and the next string up were just too loose for my liking. I've been curious about how a 9-52 would be for a guitar for strictly Drop D guitar. Have plenty of tension to riff out on power chords down below and loose enough up top for some real big and easy bends.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I used 9-46 for decades. When I started experimenting with picks, I also started experimenting with strings. Where I landed was that for most of my guitars, 10-46 is just right.

If it's in Eb tuning, especially if I drop tune that Eb string, I use 10-48s. Anything lower than Drop C#, I go with 11-52.

I do, I think, have 12-56 on a B standard guitar, but honestly I never play it, so I will probably bring it back up to a more normal tuning soon.

Reactions: Lindsey and idssdi

Edward John

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    I used 9-46 for decades. When I started experimenting with picks, I also started experimenting with strings. Where I landed was that for most of my guitars, 10-46 is just right.

If it's in Eb tuning, especially if I drop tune that Eb string, I use 10-48s. Anything lower than Drop C#, I go with 11-52.

I do, I think, have 12-56 on a B standard guitar, but honestly I never play it, so I will probably bring it back up to a more normal tuning soon.
    Eb tuning, I can tell you are an eighties metal head like me, Ed. Van Halen tuning. :)

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Eb tuning, I can tell you are an eighties metal head like me, Ed. Van Halen tuning. :)

Somewhat. I am much more into modern metal than 80s metal now. The guitars I keep in Eb are usually hardtails and they wind up in Drop C# as often as Eb standard. But yeah, all the Eb standard stuff is like Extreme, Lynch Mob, GnR, stuff like that, so yeah!

Reactions: Edward John
    Synner Endless Summer Collection