• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

String Gauge

Autumn

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Portland, Oregon
    Hey folks! How you doing?
    I've been using 0.9-42 strings for 5 years and I want to increase the gauge due to the tuning we use in my band, do you recommend 10-52 for Drop C or 0.11-46?
    It depends what you do in drop C. If you’re mostly riffing on the lower 3 strings, then go for the 11’s. If you want it extra heavy, you can even buy a set made for 7 strings and use the lower 6.

If you’re doing quite a bit of soloing or licks on the higher strings, it may be in your best interest to check out a “skinny top, heavy bottom” set of strings. Tuned to drop C, they are pretty comparably to your .9’s and will still give you enough stability for riffing.

Ernie Ball has a fantastic set that I live and die for:

LucasDuran1721

Garage band Groupie
  • Feb 20, 2021
    Argentina
    www.instagram.com
    It depends what you do in drop C. If you’re mostly riffing on the lower 3 strings, then go for the 11’s. If you want it extra heavy, you can even buy a set made for 7 strings and use the lower 6.

If you’re doing quite a bit of soloing or licks on the higher strings, it may be in your best interest to check out a “skinny top, heavy bottom” set of strings. Tuned to drop C, they are pretty comparably to your .9’s and will still give you enough stability for riffing.

I'm the lead guitarist, maybe I should buy the ernie ball skinny top heavy bottom, I tried a set of D'addario 11-52 and the truth is that they felt very hard, especially the third string, it was a nightmare try to make bends on it

Reactions: Autumn

Autumn

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Portland, Oregon
    I'm the lead guitarist, maybe I should buy the ernie ball skinny top heavy bottom, I tried a set of D'addario 11-52 and the truth is that they felt very hard, especially the third string, it was a nightmare try to make bends on it
    The skinny top heavy bottom strings are 10-52, so it seems like a good middle ground between the sets of strings that you’ve tried. If you absolutely hate bending on them, head to your local guitar store and they can sell you individual strings. Check the individual gauges on the strings that are uncomfortable so you know what gauge to ask for ;)

If all else fails, it’s time to spend a hawt hour or two just bending them stringssss 💪:rock-hand:

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com

Yup. That's what I use. Bullet for my Valentine is 99% in drop c and they use this Set too.

I also use them on my flying v in drop d

• Love
    Reactions: Autumn