• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

String muting with left-hand finger tips

Debarghya Chanda

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Hey guys,
I have been working on muting the adjacent higher string with the tips of my left-hand fingers, during soloing. I have seen players like John Petrucci and Michael Angelo Batio use this technique. But the problem I’m facing is that I am finding it hard to do bends and vibrato in that finger position. Also, I find this finger position is very hard to maintain higher up the frets (above 15th fret).
Any tips on how to overcome this? Also, I’d love to know whether Syn uses this technique. Because I don’t hear any string noise from his playing and his fingers always stay curved (the fingers are usually kind of flat for the technique I mentioned).
The reason I want to try this is that with my right-hand palm muting, I either mute the note (let’s say on the B string) before I pick the next note (on the e string) or I mute it late so there is some string noise. The former is easy to make out if I play slow, but I am not sure if it would get drowned out when I play fast as the time between playing both the notes is small (although the lack of smooth transition from one note to the next is apparent). In the latter case, eventually, my palm does mute it. But for a small duration of time, there’s a string noise.
Sorry for the long post. I wanted you guys to know all the angles of the issue.
Thanks!

Kfir Yaakovi

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Israel
    so what I’m doing is this (and still have to improve) –
    with my right hand, I mostly mute the 3 top strings
    with my left hand my index finger is responsible to mute every string below the one I’m playing, and 1 string above it (rest is by my right hand). so if I play the G string, I also lay my finger on the E and B strings, and the tip of my index finger also touches the D string.
    I can make a video tomorrow if you want me too

This reply was modified 3 months ago by  Kfir Yaakovi.

Debarghya Chanda

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Thanks for the advice Kfir Yaakovi. I was doing exactly that earlier. But then I realized that I don’t always land on a higher string with my index finger. For eg., I may be playing a note on the D string, I have to land on the G string with my ring finger (because of the formation of notes). So I found that my index finger wasn’t helping, in this case, and I had to train at least the 3 fingers (except the pinky), to have their tips touch the lower string.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Debarghya Chanda

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Thanks Adin for the video. I have watched it too (loved the muting of Kanya West, HILARIOUS). In fact, this helped re-emphasize what Michael Angelo Batio and John Petrucci mentioned. I’m having trouble aligning my fingers to it. I guess it’s got more to fo with my hand structure. Perhaps I need to figure out the finger and hand placements.