String tension and playing fast

Ashley Willis

Free Bird Player
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Georgia, USA
    This is one for @Ed Seith. My EVH has 9-42 strings now and I tuned down 1/2 step, and of course there’s more slack in the strings which I normally like. But trying to play certain things, like a fast pedal point lick, I feel like my pick gets “stuck” trying to go across the strings due to the extra slack and I can’t get the lick up to speed. I’m assuming going up a string gauge would eliminate that. Any experience with that?

Solution
    10-52’s has always been my jam. Light top, heavy bottom(refraining from teenage joke) is what they’re called if u haven’t heard of em. They do well in heavier music and lower tunings. Can I get an upvote mother fuckers??

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I've done both, and it depends on where your personal tolerance is. I found for years that using a 9-46 set at standard or Eb standard worked fine for me. I've since moved to 9-42 (after spending a few years with 10s) on my standard tuned guitars, and on my Eb standards I wound up feeling really good with one of the new "split the difference" sets from Ernie Ball. I have my Eb guitars set up with 9.5-44s and I gotta say, they're just perfect for it. I put the 10-46 on the D standard and that works fine for me.

Reactions: Ashley Willis

Ashley Willis

Free Bird Player
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Georgia, USA
    I've done both, and it depends on where your personal tolerance is. I found for years that using a 9-46 set at standard or Eb standard worked fine for me. I've since moved to 9-42 (after spending a few years with 10s) on my standard tuned guitars, and on my Eb standards I wound up feeling really good with one of the new "split the difference" sets from Ernie Ball. I have my Eb guitars set up with 9.5-44s and I gotta say, they're just perfect for it. I put the 10-46 on the D standard and that works fine for me.
    That’s what I was thinking. I’ve used just about every gauge out there and prefer smaller gauges but like a decent amount of tension.

Reactions: Ed Seith
    Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ids Schiere

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    10-52’s has always been my jam. Light top, heavy bottom(refraining from teenage joke) is what they’re called if u haven’t heard of em. They do well in heavier music and lower tunings. Can I get an upvote mother fuckers??
    I was gonna give it an upvote but now you asked for it I'm not so sure 🤪🤪

Upvote 0

Ashley Willis

Free Bird Player
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Georgia, USA
    That’s what I just switched to! Used them on my master of puppets cover and made a big difference!

Upvote 0

Syn Gates

Administrator
    Staff member
    Sep 18, 2019
    This better get an upvote
    C35D203E-45FB-47F8-A4A7-FAE19806B422.jpeg