String tension and playing fast

Ashley Willis

Free Bird Player
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Georgia, USA
    This is one for @Ed Seith. My EVH has 9-42 strings now and I tuned down 1/2 step, and of course there’s more slack in the strings which I normally like. But trying to play certain things, like a fast pedal point lick, I feel like my pick gets “stuck” trying to go across the strings due to the extra slack and I can’t get the lick up to speed. I’m assuming going up a string gauge would eliminate that. Any experience with that?

Solution
    10-52’s has always been my jam. Light top, heavy bottom(refraining from teenage joke) is what they’re called if u haven’t heard of em. They do well in heavier music and lower tunings. Can I get an upvote mother fuckers??

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I've done both, and it depends on where your personal tolerance is. I found for years that using a 9-46 set at standard or Eb standard worked fine for me. I've since moved to 9-42 (after spending a few years with 10s) on my standard tuned guitars, and on my Eb standards I wound up feeling really good with one of the new "split the difference" sets from Ernie Ball. I have my Eb guitars set up with 9.5-44s and I gotta say, they're just perfect for it. I put the 10-46 on the D standard and that works fine for me.
    This is me. I use the green slinkies in all.tunings honestly. And I don't really feel any issues. Drop c to e standard. I've also never experimented but ive never felt the need to. Everything seems to fit for me atleast.

Upvote 0

bsynre

New Student
    Nov 12, 2019
    10-52’s has always been my jam. Light top, heavy bottom(refraining from teenage joke) is what they’re called if u haven’t heard of em. They do well in heavier music and lower tunings. Can I get an upvote mother fuckers??
    105% agree. I love the thick low strings especially for riffs with slides and vibrato (welcome to the family, scream, brompton cocktail, ect..). Sometimes I buy power slinkys and put the three thinnest strings from that set with the thicker strings from the other set (11,14,18, 30, 42, 52). The thicker top strings are a good tension and work well with lower pitches and playing fast.

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ezequiel Romanko

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Argentina
    This better get an upvote
    View attachment 1564
    descarga.jpg

Just kidding XD

• Haha
    Reactions: Alicia Willis