• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

String tension and playing fast

Ashley Willis

Free Bird Player
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Georgia, USA
    This is one for @Ed Seith. My EVH has 9-42 strings now and I tuned down 1/2 step, and of course there’s more slack in the strings which I normally like. But trying to play certain things, like a fast pedal point lick, I feel like my pick gets “stuck” trying to go across the strings due to the extra slack and I can’t get the lick up to speed. I’m assuming going up a string gauge would eliminate that. Any experience with that?

Solution
    10-52’s has always been my jam. Light top, heavy bottom(refraining from teenage joke) is what they’re called if u haven’t heard of em. They do well in heavier music and lower tunings. Can I get an upvote mother fuckers??

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I've done both, and it depends on where your personal tolerance is. I found for years that using a 9-46 set at standard or Eb standard worked fine for me. I've since moved to 9-42 (after spending a few years with 10s) on my standard tuned guitars, and on my Eb standards I wound up feeling really good with one of the new "split the difference" sets from Ernie Ball. I have my Eb guitars set up with 9.5-44s and I gotta say, they're just perfect for it. I put the 10-46 on the D standard and that works fine for me.
    This is me. I use the green slinkies in all.tunings honestly. And I don't really feel any issues. Drop c to e standard. I've also never experimented but ive never felt the need to. Everything seems to fit for me atleast.

Upvote 0

bsynre

New Student
    Nov 12, 2019
    10-52’s has always been my jam. Light top, heavy bottom(refraining from teenage joke) is what they’re called if u haven’t heard of em. They do well in heavier music and lower tunings. Can I get an upvote mother fuckers??
    105% agree. I love the thick low strings especially for riffs with slides and vibrato (welcome to the family, scream, brompton cocktail, ect..). Sometimes I buy power slinkys and put the three thinnest strings from that set with the thicker strings from the other set (11,14,18, 30, 42, 52). The thicker top strings are a good tension and work well with lower pitches and playing fast.

Upvote 0

Possessed Sinner

Free Bird Player
    Apr 6, 2021
    Czech Republic
    my man. 10 are the best by my opinion. Btw take my upvote and stay

• Haha
    Reactions: Ed Seith
    Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ezequiel Romanko

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Argentina
    This better get an upvote
    View attachment 1564
    descarga.jpg