• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Strings for drop tuning.

HasserWeiss

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Apr 29, 2020
Guatemala
hasserweiss.bandcamp.com
My string choice are the Ernie Ball Paradigm or Cobalt, .12 gauge, and I play in Drop C tuning with a Floyd Rose copy.

Haven't broken a string in a long time and tension feels nice. I'm not an avid/capable guy when it comes to setup and changes, so couldn't say much more than this haha.

Upvote 0

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    The goal with drop tuning is always consistency - you want the drop-tuned guitar to FEEL the same as your standard-tuned guitar. While everyone will have a different preference, I find a good starting point is one gauge per whole step.

So if I like my 9-42s for E standard, then I would start with 10-46 for D standard.
    If I like 9-46 for Drop D, then I'd start with 10-48 for Drop C.

Make sense? That's a good starting point, and you can adjust again with your next set of strings if it's not quite right. Ernies come in split gauges now - I use 9.5-44s for my Eb standard guitars.

Last edited:
    Reactions: owen817
    Upvote 0

owen817

Garage band Groupie
  • Jan 24, 2022
    Fort Worth, TX
    Update on the post. I put the Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky strings on. So far I love how they sound and how much better they hold a drop tuning. I would highly recommend them to anybody who likes playing heavier songs. I did have to make some other adjustments to my guitar but it was a fairly simple and straight forward process.

Reactions: William B.
    Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

scoennen

New Student
    Oct 2, 2023
    I would like to see what strings everyone uses for drop tuning. I have been playing on Ernie Ball Skinny Tops Heavy Bottoms for a while now. They can drop tune but not as low as I would like. I recently purchased some Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky and some DR DDT. Has anybody used these?
    I would like to see what strings everyone uses for drop tuning. I have been playing on Ernie Ball Skinny Tops Heavy Bottoms for a while now. They can drop tune but not as low as I would like. I recently purchased some Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky and some DR DDT. Has anybody used these?
    I personal get great results with the EB "not even slinky" 10-56 all the way to baritone but in no way fun to play in an E standard (unless your a sadist and like to have your fingers bleed.. Lol) I can drop any string (even an 8) down to a Cb if it has a FR or Evertune bridge but for a hard tail those EBs I mentioned are the way to go.. Check your neck relief after an install though.. My axion went hockey stick on me but I think they kid i bought it from had 7s on it they were so light... Hope they helps

Upvote 0