• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Strings

Jacques

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 29, 2019
    IL
    Waddup! My apologies but could you please elaborate more on "spoils the floyd rose"? I am racking my brain trying to imagine what you're referring to and am drawing a blank. Like, as in overall appearance or playability issues?

Nicola Marucci

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Lucera, Italia
    Waddup! My apologies but could you please elaborate more on "spoils the floyd rose"? I am racking my brain trying to imagine what you're referring to and am drawing a blank. Like, as in overall appearance or playability issues?
    The thing I noticed the most is that sometimes it goes out of place and when I change the strings it tends to go all the way down

Jacques

• Nov 29, 2019
    IL
    The thing I noticed the most is that sometimes it goes out of place and when I change the strings it tends to go all the way down

Ah, ok!! So, to answer your question 10-52 is a good string gauge to use for drop D tuning. That is also what ive used for awhile too!

However you will have to adjust the claw screws that hold the tremolo springs almost every time you change strings. EVEN between different tunings, for example I set my guitar up for dropped D. When i tune up to standard E tuning that is enough of a change to throw the trem out of parallel. I then have to adjust the claw screws about 1/2 turn clockwise...this increases the tension of the springs causing all your strings to go sharp, retuning will then drop the trem deck down slightly returning to parallel.

Since you have a custom-s there should be holes in your dust plate that allow access/adjustment to the screws with a long phillips head screw driver. It is ALOT of trial and error. Make sure your strings are properly stretched out before you attempt to level the deck of the tremolo. Adjust each screw equally in between tunings, i go 1/4 turn each time.

Let me know where this gets you, i love tinkering around with these things and am available for further assistance!

Reactions: Noah Berends

Noah Berends

• Nov 11, 2019
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Jacques nailed it. Floyds are all about the balancing game. That's mainly why people either love them or hate them. Personally I'm in the love boat because all of my Floyd-equipped guitars stay in tune for a week at a time.

To solve the problem of it moving so much when changing strings, take a 9-Volt battery and drop it under the Floyd in the rear on the top of the guitar. This'll serve as a nice block and keep it from moving. Also, it's important to stretch your strings after changing them with a Floyd. This'll save you a lot of time and headache re-tuning it after the strings stretch out over time.

Nicola Marucci

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Lucera, Italia
    I apologize in advance to everyone if I answer very late but I had problems with the university.
    The guitar has been completely fixed from top to bottom by a professional luthier and no longer gives any problems. He explained to me in depth how to solve these problems but if I'm not sure he suggested that I go directly to his laboratory so as not to cause further damage caused by trivial nonsense. Thank you both for their assistance! Even if I'm not a very active user in the posts, I assure you that I read them all!

Synner Endless Summer Collection