• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Stuck at beginner level in like forever ...any advice

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Can I ask how long you've been playing? Improvement can take much longer than we expect as guitarists, and it's so easy to get caught up in expectations of where you feel you should be by a certain time. I'd also forget the idea of 'levels' - It's all subjective, like you could be an 'Advanced Level' Classical guitarist but a Beginner Metal guitarist at the same time.

The most important thing you can do is try to be one step closer to how you want to play, all the

If training your ears is something that you're looking to improve then a great technique to try is singing every note you play. It doesn't have to be perfect vocally, it's more of the act of trying to pinpoint the note that will improve your ear.

Try not to worry about where you feel you should be with the instrument, chances are you're exactly where you should be right now and it'll take time 🤟

Keep going & hope this helps!

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    Dammit...#WhatChrissaid

But really.. like you will alway be a beginner at something....there are soo many fricking Genres out there....Proficient at metal....baby steps at funk...

My tip for you, for the ear is to learn a chord progression...write out the chords..and change the minor chords to major/ or maj to minor...notice the difference in the sound.

Pay attention to how the sound is different.

Little theory here to make it a bit more clear and i hope I dont confuse you.

You have a chord...lets say C major.

The major chord is built upon the C Major scale, which is C D E F G A B

Every Maj or minor chord is made of 3 notes, the first, third and 5th note of that scale. So in this case for C Major: C E G

What is the difference between Major and minor chords...the flatted 3rd note of the scale. Thus C minor: C EFlat or D sharp G

Listen to how that single note changes the entire vibe of that chord.

Sorry for information dump, hope it helps and I you need me to explain it better hit me up :)

Upvote 0

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    You need the confidence to sound bad before you can sound good. You need to be willing to push your boundaries and limits when practicing. If 90 bpm is easy for you but 120 is harder try pushing 150 for a day or two. You'll 100% sound bad but when you go back to 120 the next day your muscles already are wanting to do 150 and as a result will slow down and be easier to obtain consistency with. I always practiced myself at 90 or 180 single notes. But when I jammed I always pushed my speeds to what felt normal at the time to play rhythm at. Which for me now is 240.

Upvote 0

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Maybe try to arpeggiate the notes so they stand out easier and maybe adjust your tone settings to something clear or easy for you to distinguish the sounds. It might help, I have trouble often still. Somedays it's better than others but every time it gets better and often don't realize it. If you film yourself maybe every month testing yourself with the same thing, you'll probably notice the difference. It could be that you got better with picking or your playing it faster, feel more relaxed, could be anything! :D

• Love
    Reactions: Chris Johnston
    Upvote 0