• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Stuck in a Rut

Al7eX

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Apr 16, 2022
So I’ve been having a bit trouble creating something new. I am stuck doing the same old I - VII - VI chord progressions and riffs that I’ve done before and when I create something new it feels boring and uninteresting. I have been through this before but this time is a bit harder to get out of. Does anyone know how to kinda get out of feeling uninspired and find something to be inspired by?

Reactions: Ian _Invader

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Could try to purposely play different chords or a different approach to them, like instead of strumming arpeggiate them or something. There's more I can't think of right now. I get ruts too from feeling uninspired or sounding off cause of something. Either I won't play at all or do some exercises and leave it or that sometimes gets the ball rolling. Maybe also learning more theory or technique stuff too. Listening/watching people talk about music can be inspiring.
    I saw this video just now it's about vocal melodies

Upvote 0

Richard O'connor

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Birmingham, England.
    Im like this most of the time, for me its just being patient until a new idea crops up. Their are some different ways to help spark your creativity though, for example, why not try experimenting with different tunings? Mark Tremonti is a big proponent of this and i find it helps to make some fun and interesting riffs and chords progressions. If not this then why not try finding some drum beats on youtube and playing along to these? I've had quite a lot of success with this as it forces you to come up with something to someone else's idea, similar to if you was in a band sitution and if all else fails, i just write anyway. Sometimes you just need to get rid of some of the rubbish ideas to make way for the good ideas in the back of your brain but sometimes you'll surprise yourself and make a good song out of the riff or chord progression you originally thought was no good.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0