• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Studio monitor recs?

Kyle Roberts

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Im currently looking into a set of studio monitors, im currently using headphones but there is a noticeable delay and im not good enough to play and listen that way lol, I have my eye on Kali Lp6, Yamaha HS5, or the JBL 305s. Any feedback would be appreciated

Im in a small room for reference.

Reactions: William B.

Filip Tomiša

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Croatia
www.youtube.com
Yamaha hs5 for the win. Google "music studio" and there's a high chance you'll notice them. They give you the realest "image" of the sound. That's why so many people use them.

Other good monitors are KRK rokit 5. They colour the sound a bit to make it sound better so they are more for listening to music while yamaha hs5 is more for mixing but both can be used for both

Reactions: Ed Seith
Upvote 0

Kyle Roberts

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Yamaha hs5 for the win. Google "music studio" and there's a high chance you'll notice them. They give you the realest "image" of the sound. That's why so many people use them.

Other good monitors are KRK rokit 5. They colour the sound a bit to make it sound better so they are more for listening to music while yamaha hs5 is more for mixing but both can be used for both
I guess that was one thing I was considering it seems like the lp6 sound “better” but I’m not sure you really want that in a mixing speaker right?

Upvote 0
Synner Endless Summer Collection

Kyle Roberts

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
For the price they go, Kali LP6 stand head and shoulders over the others at their price range. Extremely good reponse through the driver design and cabinet engineering. You’ll get the widest range and most clarity from those all the way until you reach ADAM’s A sériese

i think the lp6 is kind of what I’ve been leaning towards

Reactions: Noah Berends
Upvote 0

shoko

New Student
Dec 11, 2021
Im currently looking into a set of studio monitors, im currently using headphones but there is a noticeable delay and im not good enough to play and listen that way lol, I have my eye on Kali Lp6, Yamaha HS5, or the JBL 305s. Any feedback would be appreciated

Im in a small room for reference.
AFAIK latency isn't going to be fixed by getting monitors - you should get monitors anyway to hear your mix better while working on it, but to reduce latency you have to fuck with some stupid numbers in whatever DAW you might have. what I did to fix it was just open a standalone version of my Amp Sim (I assume you're using an Amp Sim) and then just mute the track while recording. this way I listen to the Amp by itself (this instance should have no latency, and is not being recorded) then I just record a dry track at the same time and then put the Amp on it.

Reactions: Flower Hands
Upvote 0

Kyle Roberts

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
AFAIK latency isn't going to be fixed by getting monitors - you should get monitors anyway to hear your mix better while working on it, but to reduce latency you have to fuck with some stupid numbers in whatever DAW you might have. what I did to fix it was just open a standalone version of my Amp Sim (I assume you're using an Amp Sim) and then just mute the track while recording. this way I listen to the Amp by itself (this instance should have no latency, and is not being recorded) then I just record a dry track at the same time and then put the Amp on it.
I Will give that a shot, but it should solve latency because if I’m not mistaken if I run the monitors directly off the Scarlett audio it would be able to use those to monitor direct right? I’m not entirely sure if that’s right but seems like something that would work lol

Upvote 0

shoko

New Student
Dec 11, 2021
I Will give that a shot, but it should solve latency because if I’m not mistaken if I run the monitors directly off the Scarlett audio it would be able to use those to monitor direct right? I’m not entirely sure if that’s right but seems like something that would work lol
i always run my monitors off of my scarlet, and the dry guitar signal has 0 latency, but sending the audio out from the computer to the scarlet would still have the same latency you have now. all you're doing is changing audio output sources, headphones and monitors are essentially the same thing. I'm pretty sure even when I run my DI out on a physical Amp into my scarlet I still get latency (when using IRs that is). fucking with the sound card (updating it) or finding what settings you need to change in your DAW could help, but the reason I don't know what they are is because I can't find a lot online about how to fix it. even the standalone version of an Amp sim will still harbor a little bit of lag, that's unavoidable with anything that concerts analog to digital. like I said, the best fix for me is to open a standalone version of my Amp sim, or if yours doesn't have one, open a different Amp sim that does (what's beautiful about simulators is you can apply them to a clean signal whenever and however you want, so make sure to use that to your advantage!) I have also split my signal with my BOSS tuner, and then sent one signal to my scarlet, and my other to a physical Amp and played it that way. the only latency is with audio outputs, but it records in real time. so as long as you can find a way to listen without latency, everything else has really easy workarounds. but please do get monitors, it makes mixing so, so, so much better. hope that helps king. 👑

Upvote 0
Synner Endless Summer Collection

Kyle Roberts

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
i always run my monitors off of my scarlet, and the dry guitar signal has 0 latency, but sending the audio out from the computer to the scarlet would still have the same latency you have now. all you're doing is changing audio output sources, headphones and monitors are essentially the same thing. I'm pretty sure even when I run my DI out on a physical Amp into my scarlet I still get latency (when using IRs that is). fucking with the sound card (updating it) or finding what settings you need to change in your DAW could help, but the reason I don't know what they are is because I can't find a lot online about how to fix it. even the standalone version of an Amp sim will still harbor a little bit of lag, that's unavoidable with anything that concerts analog to digital. like I said, the best fix for me is to open a standalone version of my Amp sim, or if yours doesn't have one, open a different Amp sim that does (what's beautiful about simulators is you can apply them to a clean signal whenever and however you want, so make sure to use that to your advantage!) I have also split my signal with my BOSS tuner, and then sent one signal to my scarlet, and my other to a physical Amp and played it that way. the only latency is with audio outputs, but it records in real time. so as long as you can find a way to listen without latency, everything else has really easy workarounds. but please do get monitors, it makes mixing so, so, so much better. hope that helps king. 👑
I appreciate the explanation and will definitely take a look into that, and yeah like you said I think I will still grab some monitors as well !

Upvote 0