• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Beginner Sus4 over major chord

Beginner Theory

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
Rockstar Student
Nov 11, 2019
Spain
I am not quite there with Music theory...but I would say yes, in theory you can do anything XD. At the end of the day a sus chord can resolve to a major or minor chord. Since they are technically neither (music theory masters correct me if I am wrong!)

As a rule of thumb though...always...if it sounds good to you...do it.

Reactions: JANIRU

TrentNWM

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 15, 2019
    Hey everyone hope your having too much fun with this school like me. I want to know,
    If someone is playing a major chord, can i arpeggiate a sus4 or sus2 over it? So over G major, can i arpeggiate a G sus4?

Hey BRΩFΩRCE! Thanks for your post, I love answering questions like this. So, as a little bit of backstory, sus chords or "suspended" chords are chords in which the third is omitted, making it so that the chord is not major or minor and makes it difficult to distinguish between the two types. If the chord is sus4, that means the chord is played with a perfect 4th or a maj2 if it is sus2, just to clarify for anybody else. In short, since these chords are neither major nor minor, you can play them over either Cmaj or Cmin, and in any key as well.

JANIRU

Music Theory Bragger
    Jul 12, 2021
    I am not quite there with Music theory...but I would say yes, in theory you can do anything XD. At the end of the day a sus chord can resolve to a major or minor chord. Since they are technically neither (music theory masters correct me if I am wrong!)

As a rule of thumb though...always...if it sounds good to you...do it.
    I didn't like theory at first but god, the feeling when u start to understand what the hell is going on its unbeatable😂 I'm definitely going to stick by "if it sounds good to me it's good." Thanks christian!!!

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    I didn't like theory at first but god, the feeling when u start to understand what the hell is going on its unbeatable😂 I'm definitely going to stick by "if it sounds good to me it's good." Thanks christian!!!
    I am slowly approaching the mountain of music theory...but there is no haste....slowly...XD

Reactions: JANIRU

JANIRU

Music Theory Bragger
    Jul 12, 2021
    Hey BRΩFΩRCE! Thanks for your post, I love answering questions like this. So, as a little bit of backstory, sus chords or "suspended" chords are chords in which the third is omitted, making it so that the chord is not major or minor and makes it difficult to distinguish between the two types. If the chord is sus4, that means the chord is played with a perfect 4th or a maj2 if it is sus2, just to clarify for anybody else. In short, since these chords are neither major nor minor, you can play them over either Cmaj or Cmin, and in any key

Hey BRΩFΩRCE! Thanks for your post, I love answering questions like this. So, as a little bit of backstory, sus chords or "suspended" chords are chords in which the third is omitted, making it so that the chord is not major or minor and makes it difficult to distinguish between the two types. If the chord is sus4, that means the chord is played with a perfect 4th or a maj2 if it is sus2, just to clarify for anybody else. In short, since these chords are neither major nor minor, you can play them over either Cmaj or Cmin, and in any key as well
    Ohhh dang. Thank so much trent!!! I love the sus 4 sound. now i can start using it when jamming with my bro😂

Synner Endless Summer Collection

JANIRU

Music Theory Bragger
    Jul 12, 2021
    I am slowly approaching the mountain of music theory...but there is no haste....slowly...XD
    Not rushing is definitely the key. For now i just learn things that i could directly apply like scales and simple voicings cause if it gets tok complicated i would lose interest and just start playing on thw 5th position of the penatonic scale😂😂

juiceellish

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    When you take the “root:sus2(sus4)” combo from a major scale, you’ll find that you get Sus2 on 5 out of 7 chords/scale modes - Ionian, Dorian, Lydian, Mixolydian, and Aeolian. Phrygian and Locrian both have b2 so you can’t do Sus2 chords with them. Sus4 would be in Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Mixolydian, and Aeolian because they each have perfect 4ths and perfect 5ths. Simple!