• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Sweep Picking 1 – Lesson 79

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    My right hand on the lower palm keeps rubbing slightly against the strings when I'm sweeping. Is this the result of some incorrect form/technique? It feels like the only way to avoid this is by levitating my hand higher above the strings when sweeping but it starts to interfere with my sweep and feels unnatural.
    It's nearly 2 years after you commented that but you're supposed to mute the strings while sweeping.
    So you may have been doing it right. Just make sure you're muting the string above the one you're picking when going down. It's tricky to get it right. I'm not sure how it works going up yet.

Reactions: Riff36

Riff36

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Jan 2, 2022
    🇸🇬 Singapore 🇸🇬
    i would say try 3 string sweeping with all string muted and get used to the flow. Going down is easy. Going up is Fcuk… but honestly no matter how gd u are at sweep picking always practice slow. 60-80bpm and den u try the max to ur capabilities. can never emphasise more.. practice…practice..practice makes every second count for improvement and progress. ☺️✊🤘🐰🐇🐇🐇🐰

Reactions: Lindsey

Epixkiller65

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
  • Feb 3, 2023
    I've been struggling with making sweep picking sound clean for a long time. typically you'd either hear a string ring out almost like a pull off or sympathetic vibrations as if I was playing a chord super lightly. it always left me frustrated and wanting to quit/give up. This video had taught me what I've been doing wrong this whole time. Despite having to re-learn how to sweep, I can finally rest easy knowing WHAT I was messing up on. The left hand roll. I would just let my finger off the string almost like a pull off. Thanks Papa Gates!

• Love
    Reactions: Rad Synner

Riff36

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Jan 2, 2022
    🇸🇬 Singapore 🇸🇬
    I've been struggling with making sweep picking sound clean for a long time. typically you'd either hear a string ring out almost like a pull off or sympathetic vibrations as if I was playing a chord super lightly. it always left me frustrated and wanting to quit/give up. This video had taught me what I've been doing wrong this whole time. Despite having to re-learn how to sweep, I can finally rest easy knowing WHAT I was messing up on. The left hand roll. I would just let my finger off the string almost like a pull off. Thanks Papa Gates!

My way of Subconsciously sweep picking or making it like second nature on 3-note or 4-note sweep picking is to start maybe around 80bpm and gradually increase till Plato. That is where your playing coordination can't sync. And the reason behind that idealism is to trick your brain into telling, No.1 at 1st 80bpm I can’t do it. But at the peak of Plato maybe around 100-120bpm, your brain will substantially realise that 100-120bpm is harder. And suddenly 80-90bpm you be nailing it clear as fuck.☺️ And for sure nothing comes easy when subjects towards sweep picking are involved. It takes time. So stay in there put in hours and you will definitely get the results at the end of the tunnel. Another way i would recommend is to repeat that particular sweep picking you are currently diving In maybe from Am to Me or maybe Am to Dmaj and play that arpeggio with a rep of 10 times each. Example as playing/learning Am sweeping technique and getting the sync for the left and right hand in sync starting from 8note to 16note and it is better to “ONLY” start by using high 2 string at a time and gradually put more strings on it. Personally, I recommend you to watch some of Joe Stump's techniques on “YouTube” no disrespect Syn Gates… Without a doubt, Syn Gates is great in all aspects of pro/masterclass Musician and lead guitarist. 🫡🙌🙌🙌🙌🫶🇸🇬 but do check Joe Stump too and finally PLEASE Please Please for the love of God practice with a Metronome. 🫣

Trust me it makes your life easier in future be it in a studio or home-based recording and you be glad you trained with a metronome just because it makes the “Sound Producer/Engineer” life a little easier and wouldn't be cursing you all the time. 🫣😂 I learn from my mistakes starting everything I ever learn at an early stage of my journey without Metronome and no shit, till to date, I HATE it sooo so much. ☺️🙌🫶🤘

Hope this help. 🫡🫶🇸🇬🐰

Peace out - 🐰Silly Rabbit🐰

Reactions: Epixkiller65
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ryan girvin

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    I just discovered this community and site the other day. I’ve been playing for years but could never sweep pick and shred as much as I’ve always wanted to. Syn is a huge musical inspiration so I’m starting here and looking forward to learning as much as I possibly can!
    Welcome man!! How did you discover the school?? I've been posting about the school lately a lot on reddit and telling anyone that will listen about it as it's crazy how many A7X fans or even just people starting out playing the guitar don't know that this gem exists.