• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Sweep Picking 1 – Lesson 79

Allan V

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Unfortunately I have started this video long after I've developed some bad habits. instead of resting the pick on the b string (like the example given in this video) I tend to pick the string away from the guitar and lift my hand up off the guitar. Any recommendations?

p.s at least this coronavirus quarantine is forcing me to have time to learn how to sweep pick lol

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Nocturne

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Dec 1, 2019
    France
    Unfortunately I have started this video long after I've developed some bad habits. instead of resting the pick on the b string (like the example given in this video) I tend to pick the string away from the guitar and lift my hand up off the guitar. Any recommendations?

p.s at least this coronavirus quarantine is forcing me to have time to learn how to sweep pick lol
    I'd say relearn to do it correctly while playing slowly and forcing yourself to rest the pick on the string till you can do it without thinking about it.

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    Depending how long you've played with that habit its gonna take time to instinctly change your brains mind. So dont lose your courage. I personally still find myself at times not alternate picking when I could be but the melody is so slow i just.. dont.
    Man im the same way, i dont know why i do it i just do 😂

AnthonyArena

Garage band Groupie
    Jun 30, 2020
    San Jose, CA
    www.instagram.com

My challenge with sweeping has always been getting that last third note of each arpeggio to sound clear and this technique brings me justice. With a clear explanation of which to stroke down and up, my sweeps are beginning to sound better. Don't mind the long stretch and misuse of the bottom string, i have this guitar in Drop D of course lol. Thank you again!

Reactions: William B.

Alex.P

One Stringer
    Jul 14, 2020
    I finally realized what was holding me back with sweeping! For the longest time I could sweep arpeggio's going up or down, up to 5 strings and with the 7ths, but then I couldn't come back from that. I could go up, but I couldn't go down, and I could go down, but I couldn't go back up. I could never keep the motion going and make it work in time. I just realized that I was beginning each sequence on the wrong stroke type! If I was going to sweep down I would start on a down stroke and pick the two notes on the first string. And if I was going to finish the motion I would follow the motion through and pick the last note in series instead of restart the picking pattern! Jesus I feel like a fool now, it's been right in front of me for years. Thank you!

Jaxon Muller

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Tulsa, OK
    www.imdb.com
    My right hand on the lower palm keeps rubbing slightly against the strings when I'm sweeping. Is this the result of some incorrect form/technique? It feels like the only way to avoid this is by levitating my hand higher above the strings when sweeping but it starts to interfere with my sweep and feels unnatural.

TheTroller

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 16, 2020
    Very nice pattern. These are generally the only the types of sweeps that I use. I've noticed this pattern in the Wicked End, Afterlife, and Nightmare. I really prefer this particular style of only sweeping through one fret on the lowest string instead of adding more arpeggios on the lowest string after the end of the descending sweep.

Adrian Tache

Campfire Attention Holder
    Nov 11, 2019
    Romania
    i kinda understand, although i'm fine with 3 string sweeps, the 5 string shapes are definitely my thing. i do them better than alternate picking =))) fast shredding on one string is killing me, if we talk about changing strings at high speeds that's even worse =))))

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I didn't get very far with the lesson yet, but I did this. I think it's the "Last Kiss" melody kind of. I tried to learn the Pearl Jam version as one of my first songs. Just the chords. I could probably name the root notes of these chords, with some time. The other chords came naturally with CAGED system reference. I tried to add some extra notes towards the end.

Last edited: