• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Sweep Picking I

J

Jak Angelescu

@Syn Gates I have a question, when you bend with your pinky and vibrato, are you essentially using the strength of ALL four fingers to bend or do you primarily use the strength of your index, middle and ring to bend and just use your pinky to get the target pitch? Your pinky is like the same length as my middle finger and I really want to get better bending with all four fingers but my pinky is so incredibly tiny. I keep trying and I've been doing it for four months and still can't get it!

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
@Syn Gates I have a question, when you bend with your pinky and vibrato, are you essentially using the strength of ALL four fingers to bend or do you primarily use the strength of your index, middle and ring to bend and just use your pinky to get the target pitch? Your pinky is like the same length as my middle finger and I really want to get better bending with all four fingers but my pinky is so incredibly tiny. I keep trying and I've been doing it for four months and still can't get it!
I think he's using all four fingers to bend when he's bending, I'm not really sure whether he's using the strength of all of them or just bends up with one or 2 of them and then gets the correct pitch with the other fingers, personally I think I do the latter.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019

I'm not syn.. but here's my take.

When I feel I can I would definitely.use all fingerd to bend. More control. If I want a DEEPER bend.. I tend to use just my index finger. That finger is mad strong for is the only one that will bend as deep as i want.

Reactions: Lindsey
Synner Endless Summer Collection

Andrew Milner

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    andreilucianmoraru.com
    Hey @Syn Gates . I noticed I have a weird tendency to be using my middle finger in what seems like an unnatural way in this exercise. So, whenever the notes on the E and B strings are played on the same fret (for example, right before the bend, we get to play the 16-12-12 section on the E and B strings), I have the tendency to want to use the middle finger on the B string.

However, I'm guessing this is a habit that I wouldn't want to stick to, so my question is: how can I make it easier to deal with such sweeping scenarios without getting fatigued? Because whenever I try using only the index finger, I tend to move my hand a lot and that makes it tired.

Reactions: Lindsey

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Your hand may just need more getting used to that motion. 5 minutes if sweeps for me and my hand basically says exercise over lol muscles arent used to it. Keep at it.. unless its hurting 5hen you're clearing doing something wrong.

And on fingering.. I don't think it REALLY matters. Whatever works best for you will make you feel lost comfortable. It just may restrict you to do other things while doing that sweep.

Reactions: Andrew Milner

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Hey @Syn Gates . I noticed I have a weird tendency to be using my middle finger in what seems like an unnatural way in this exercise. So, whenever the notes on the E and B strings are played on the same fret (for example, right before the bend, we get to play the 16-12-12 section on the E and B strings), I have the tendency to want to use the middle finger on the B string.

However, I'm guessing this is a habit that I wouldn't want to stick to, so my question is: how can I make it easier to deal with such sweeping scenarios without getting fatigued? Because whenever I try using only the index finger, I tend to move my hand a lot and that makes it tired.
    It sounds like you're doing exactly what I did the first 3 or 4 years of my playing. Basically what is used for sweeping where you play the same fret on two adjacent strings is a rolling motion. This rolling motion is also required for the A shape and makes sure your hand stays in a more natural position instead.

Andrew Milner

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    andreilucianmoraru.com
    Your hand may just need more getting used to that motion. 5 minutes if sweeps for me and my hand basically says exercise over lol muscles arent used to it. Keep at it.. unless its hurting 5hen you're clearing doing something wrong.

And on fingering.. I don't think it REALLY matters. Whatever works best for you will make you feel lost comfortable. It just may restrict you to do other things while doing that sweep.

Yeah, that's how I feel exactly :LOL:. My hand feels like nope-ing on me after two or 3 runs of this lesson. It seems like muscle pain, caused by the fact that I've been doing more sweeping in the last 12 days than I've done in the last 12 years.

@Ids Schiere any particular way I can exercise this, aside from sweep picking of course?

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Yeah, that's how I feel exactly :LOL:. My hand feels like nope-ing on me after two or 3 runs of this lesson. It seems like muscle pain, caused by the fact that I've been doing more sweeping in the last 12 days than I've done in the last 12 years.

@Ids Schiere any particular way I can exercise this, aside from sweep picking of course?
    You can alternate pick the 12th fret on the B and E string and just fret it with your pointing finger. But generally I only use it when I'm sweeping. And very rarely in an alternate picking situation. Maybe Syn or PG know some none sweeping exercises

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    That's me too man. I think its normal. What I do is I start with 5 minutes of slower sweeps fast enough that it's still clean but still pushing me. Once I get that point I stop and start doing my rhythm stuff. Then I go back and do it again quickly before switching to lead. Then I'm the improvni try to do whatever i think I can at the time. I basically try t give rest periods. I'm starting to get faster and longer runs before I have to stop so the muscles are getting better. Just keep at itm

Zoso210

Free Bird Player
    Nov 18, 2020
    France
    The triads used are Am|F|C|E it's a i-VI-III-V progression.
    It's what I noted but in the 2 nd bar (13-8-10 & 13-8-8 ), 3rd bar ( 12-8-8- & 12-8-9) and 7th (15-12-13 & 15-12-12) notes are différents. ...Why ?...I don't find if it's a différent triad of a "transition chord" or almways the same triad ...I don't know if you 'll understand what i want to say ....sorry for my english.... I come from the cheese and wine Country France !! LOL)

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    It's what I noted but in the 2 nd bar (13-8-10 & 13-8-8 ), 3rd bar ( 12-8-8- & 12-8-9) and 7th (15-12-13 & 15-12-12) notes are différents. ...Why ?...I don't find if it's a différent triad of a "transition chord" or almways the same triad ...I don't know if you 'll understand what i want to say ....sorry for my english.... I come from the cheese and wine Country France !! LOL)
    Honestly, I don't really hear those notes so I think those are a mistake in the tab