• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Sweep Picking I

Ian Marshall

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Oh ok I gotcha. So the triplets, eighth notes and so forth...
What do you struggle most with? Presumably the transitions from lower frets to higher frets like in the last time through (4th)
I struggle mostly with speed in the 3rd from 85-100%. Then switching in the last part of the 4th. Thanks for your help BTW. Wish I had someone to practice with.

Reactions: Dereks

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
How can I download the backing track?
You can't. Syn and pg would rather not give you dowbloadavke files. Because then when wouldnyou come.back to the site? You want the back track.. simply come to the site. Otherwise it makes no sense to even supply it with the school. One other student downloaded it himself and started advertising giving it away.. id imagine it takes away the idea of using the school to learn.

With that said.. they are easy to identify and record yourself. Make them up your self.

Reactions: Felipe Oliveira
Synner Endless Summer Collection

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
anyone know which part of his hand is muting the strings played?
Typically for sweeping you heavily really on fret hand muting so that's using the fret hand to mute the unwanted noise. One of the ways to do this is the rolling motion for the A-shape and the E-shape where you roll you finger and use the fleshy bit to mute the strings.

Reactions: Lindsey

erickkasecamp

New Student
Feb 6, 2021
Typically for sweeping you heavily really on fret hand muting so that's using the fret hand to mute the unwanted noise. One of the ways to do this is the rolling motion for the A-shape and the E-shape where you roll you finger and use the fleshy bit to mute the strings.
I meant which part of his picking hand, cause usually it’s a mixture of both. I keep bouncing back and fourth from using the left side of my palm to the right side. Not sure which way to go, not wanting to get any bad habits.

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    I meant which part of his picking hand, cause usually it’s a mixture of both. I keep bouncing back and fourth from using the left side of my palm to the right side. Not sure which way to go, not wanting to get any bad habits.
    Someone, answer this please? 😅

I've heard about muting with the pickinghand for sweeping too but I'm not sure about it all.

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Someone, answer this please? 😅

I've heard about muting with the pickinghand for sweeping too but I'm not sure about it all.
    it's both hands
    someone shared a video with a lot of muting techniques from Ben Eller
    I don't know where it's at now. It's a long video but one part he explained it nicely I think
    I think it's called play stacatto
    it was like 20 minutes long

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I think so yes and you mute it as you move down to the next note. In one of the advanced lessons I think PG talks about resting the pick on the next string getting ready for the next note. I think getting this technique down you'll get the mute for cleaner sounding sweeps easier
    and in non musical context pick raking I think it's called with mute practice helps, it did for me, to get the feel