• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Sweep Picking II

Lucas Weiman

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
When you try to play it is there a specific part of a phrase you have trouble with?
Sweeping is made up of half a dozen of smaller techniques, all must be learned in order for it to sound good. If you want to get better, I would recommend making a video of you playing and explaining in your own words things that you get stuck on :)

Jackson Harsin

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    So I have been sweep picking for around 4-5 years in my technique and it was all self taught with supporting youtube videos at the time. Although I was using these videos as some nice practice, I realized that when I sweep up from the high e, i don't change direction until i sweep through the entirety of the arpeggio as it runs up, but in this video Syn changes direction a note before so he can sweep down entirely instead of in the middle, if that makes sense. My question is, is this all personal preference, or should I revise my technique? @Brian Haner Sr. @Syn Gates

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    So I have been sweep picking for around 4-5 years in my technique and it was all self taught with supporting youtube videos at the time. Although I was using these videos as some nice practice, I realized that when I sweep up from the high e, i don't change direction until i sweep through the entirety of the arpeggio as it runs up, but in this video Syn changes direction a note before so he can sweep down entirely instead of in the middle, if that makes sense. My question is, is this all personal preference, or should I revise my technique? @Brian Haner Sr. @Syn Gates

Are you saying when you change from ascend to descend? I always try to change as soon as possible if I can.

Reactions: Jackson Harsin

Ben Grosskreuz

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019

I know exactly what you mean...I had to relearn it like Syn does it and it makes it so much easier...then you don't have to make this awkward string jump it just effortlessly slides into the downward sweep

Reactions: Jackson Harsin

gregshredguitar

Garage band Groupie
    May 4, 2020
    My fingers really struggle when it comes to playing the same fret across two or three strings when you "roll" your fingers across the fretboard. I'm almost there when descending the arpeggio, but when coming back up - I just can't get my finger to roll properly?

Any advice 😫

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    My fingers really struggle when it comes to playing the same fret across two or three strings when you "roll" your fingers across the fretboard. I'm almost there when descending the arpeggio, but when coming back up - I just can't get my finger to roll properly?

Any advice 😫
    It's tricky both my middle finger and pointing fingers can do it, my ring finger not because the string hits like the bit in between two knuckles and that hurts pretty bad.

It really just comes down to practicing in the end. First take two strings and go from there. For example take an Em in E shape A in A shape and B in A shape and alternate them. It's a nice sequence because it's a i IV V progression and hits to E melodic minor and at the same time you can use it to practice the rolling.

erickkasecamp

New Student
    Feb 6, 2021
    The final segment on here gets me. He changes the direction of the sweeps suddenly so it’s up three then down two instead of up three down two. The rythem is a little different too. Just can’t seem to grasp it and when I slow the video down too far, the audio gets distorted. Any tips for mastering this last riff?

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    The final segment on here gets me. He changes the direction of the sweeps suddenly so it’s up three then down two instead of up three down two. The rythem is a little different too. Just can’t seem to grasp it and when I slow the video down too far, the audio gets distorted. Any tips for mastering this last riff?
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean, to me all the sweeps are largely the same but just sped up. It's all 3 string sweeps, the only different is that in the last one with ends on a diminished arpeggio 😅

At least that's what I pick up from it, if you could try to explain you're question a bit more clearly I can try to help you 😅

erickkasecamp

New Student
    Feb 6, 2021
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean, to me all the sweeps are largely the same but just sped up. It's all 3 string sweeps, the only different is that in the last one with ends on a diminished arpeggio 😅

At least that's what I pick up from it, if you could try to explain you're question a bit more clearly I can try to help you 😅
    In the tablature, the n mean downstrokes and ^means up. Every section has the turn around start on the G string(up on e, up on b, then down on the g, and back down) the final section has all up strokes, with the turn around coming on the b string once you start back down. Basically, the part I’m talking about (the final one) your doing three ups, two down, as opposed to the rest of the exudes that have two up, three down.