• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Switching between regular tuning and drop D.

Artur Polaczek

One Stringer
Nov 11, 2019
Hello, I have a question. I own a Schecter Synyster Custom-S guitar with a Floyd Rose bridge, which as we know makes retuning a lot of work. And frankly I'm not good at it. I'm currently tuned to drop D and I figured that there is enough space to tune the lowest string back to E (to regular tuning) using only the small screws on the bridge. This way I could quite comfortably switch between my two favourite tunings. Is this a good idea ?

Reactions: idssdi
Solution
You certainly can do that. The only issue is that when you de-tune the low string a whole step (from E to D) the other 5 strings will be pulled SLIGHTLY sharp to compensate for the spring tension on the underside of the Floyd. This would happen no matter what (even with the D-Tuna), and it's a matter of personal preference if you're okay with that. Lots of people, even professionals, can't really hear enough difference to matter or are willing to accept the trade-off. Before I had enough guitars, I did the same thing.

[DELETED]

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Hello, I have a question. I own a Schecter Synyster Custom-S guitar with a Floyd Rose bridge, which as we know makes retuning a lot of work. And frankly I'm not good at it. I'm currently tuned to drop D and I figured that there is enough space to tune the lowest string back to E (to regular tuning) using only the small screws on the bridge. This way I could quite comfortably switch between my two favourite tunings. Is this a good idea ?

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    You certainly can do that. The only issue is that when you de-tune the low string a whole step (from E to D) the other 5 strings will be pulled SLIGHTLY sharp to compensate for the spring tension on the underside of the Floyd. This would happen no matter what (even with the D-Tuna), and it's a matter of personal preference if you're okay with that. Lots of people, even professionals, can't really hear enough difference to matter or are willing to accept the trade-off. Before I had enough guitars, I did the same thing.

Solution

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    All they really do is make it so you can’t switch easily back and forth. The fact that they stick out farther than standard means that in some guitars, you would no longer be able to pull up on the bar as far. They do not change the other five strings pulling slightly sharp when you go drop d. It’s kind of just an a/b switch between E and D.

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection