• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Syn Gates Custom-S Truss Rod Adjustment

Marco Corrao

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Hey guys - recently put heavier gauge strings in my SGS Custom-S than the factory standard, which is resulting in string buzzing even with action set relatively high. I think this will require a truss rod adjustment, but am struggling to get it right. It seems like I can eliminate buzzing from the high e string with low action, but still have a lot of buzzing on the low e string with significantly higher action. Any good guides out there or thoughts on how to set up the truss rod and action perfectly? I am using Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom strings.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Heavier strings would increase the bow in the neck, which would therefore NOT cause buzzing. If the buzzing is above the 12th fret, you need to raise the post on the Floyd Rose to bring the bridge a little higher.

But before you do that, the thicker strings would pull harder on the Floyd's springs, making the whole trem lean forward, which is likely the biggest cause of issues. You need to open the back cavity, tighten the two screws holding the spring claw into the body wood, and retune. Continue adjusting this and fully tuning until the tops of the string saddles run parallel with the strings themselves. Then you can look at other possibilities.

For checking neck bow, you want to put a capo (or a friend's fingers) on the first fret and then your own finger on the last fret, then pluck each string in between. With normal action, each would ring out a clear note unimpeded. For super-low actions, you should hear the note briefly before it buzzes out.

This should be checked with the guitar in tune and after the bridge adjustment.

Reactions: Shawn Lennie