• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Syn Standard tuning issues

Iris

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Oct 14, 2020
    Everett, Washington
    So I got my Syn Standard. Worked fine until I put it in that weird turning for Radiant Eclipse. Suddenly the guitar wasn't staying in tune. I took it into guitar center and had it set up and I had the guy set it up in Drop D. Because. Metal. I went to tune it back up to E and everything is now sharp. Shouldn't I be able to tune back and forth without the other strings going wonky? Or is that what the fine tuners are for. I have other guitars. But still. It would be nice to play something like Crimson Day which is in standard tuning on Beetlejuice.

Last edited:

Awex Came

Campfire Attention Holder
    Legend
    May 23, 2021
    So I got my Syn Standard. Worked fine until I put it in that weird turning for Radiant Eclipse. Suddenly the guitar wasn't staying in tune. I took it into guitar center and had it set up and I had the guy set it up in Drop D. Because. Metal. I went to tune it back up to E and everything is now sharp. Shouldn't I be able to tune back and forth without the other strings going wonky? I have other guitars. But still. It would be nice to play something like Crimson Day which is in standard tuning on Beetlejuice.
    With Floyd Rose tremolo systems, you need to adjust pretty much everything when changing tunings and changing string gauges, and even sometimes when you put on strings from a different brand. A lot of times when you get a set up, they'll give you a certain amount of time to bring it back and make any changes. So depending on when you got the guitar back from GC, you could have them set it up in standard, but I would generally commit to one tuning for a guitar equiped with that kind of bridge. You could also look into the D-Tuna, which allows you to switch between standard and Drop D with a Floyd bridge.

Donovan Etue

• Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    Like A.C said, when changing tunings on a floyd you'll almost certainly have to readjust the springs in the back to counter the amount of tension being brought on by the strings. I've got two floyd equipped guitars. My main guitar with the floyd currently has the floyd rose blocked off with a piece of wood and like $1.25 in change that's been taped together haha. This way I can leave the locking nut unlocked and I can change tunings whenever. I can't use the floyd but I don't tend to use it much anyway. The other is currently setup for Drop D and I don't plan on changing the tuning on it. Floyd roses are notoriously tedious to work with if you want to change tunings back and forth. The fine tuners are for when the locking nut is locked down so you can still tune the strings if they are slightly sharp/flat if the floyd is setup to be flat/even with the body/routing. I don't have any experience with the D-Tuna but from what I recall people seem to like them. Eddie Van Halen used them live so if it passed his test, it's probably gonna do it's job. Anyway, hope this info helps.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    This is not just a Floyd Rose thing. This is ANY floating bridge. The whole thing is a seesaw - the bridge is the pivot, with string tension on one side and spring tension on the other (underside). Change either, and it changes all, and tuning a string differently, or using even a slightly different gauge of string even on one string, will throw the whole mix off.

A floating bridge guitar is best left in one tuning. It's all the reason you need to buy more guitars, and since guitars equal happiness, your life will be better for it.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Iris

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Oct 14, 2020
    Everett, Washington
    A floating bridge guitar is best left in one tuning. It's all the reason you need to buy more guitars, and since guitars equal happiness, your life will be better for it.
    That's the plan. I really like playing A7X on a Syn guitar because it just feels right. Lol. I'll get another one and leave it in standard tuning. However, any A7X song that's in a weird tuning will be played on the LP or the Tele.

Reactions: Ed Seith

Eric Kane

• Nov 11, 2019
    This is not just a Floyd Rose thing. This is ANY floating bridge. The whole thing is a seesaw - the bridge is the pivot, with string tension on one side and spring tension on the other (underside). Change either, and it changes all, and tuning a string differently, or using even a slightly different gauge of string even on one string, will throw the whole mix off.

Guitars equal happiness??? Hmmm... I must not have quite enough guitars yet then. Thanks for this especially insightful piece of information Ed!

• Love
    Reactions: Ed Seith

Kyle Roberts

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    So I got my Syn Standard. Worked fine until I put it in that weird turning for Radiant Eclipse. Suddenly the guitar wasn't staying in tune. I took it into guitar center and had it set up and I had the guy set it up in Drop D. Because. Metal. I went to tune it back up to E and everything is now sharp. Shouldn't I be able to tune back and forth without the other strings going wonky? Or is that what the fine tuners are for. I have other guitars. But still. It would be nice to play something like Crimson Day which is in standard tuning on Beetlejuice.
    No generally any adjustment to a floyd will cause you to have to fully retune. When you go from Drop D and tighten the E string back to E standard its causing more tension on the bride which is causing the other strings to go out of whack. Which is why when you snap a string or something the guitar is pretty much borked usually lol