• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

SynTv/Restringing and working with a Floyd Rose and other guitar stuff - Tuesday 7pm MST

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Maybe a good place to ask this quickly. When I bought my syn custom-s it said "Schechter warranty only for string gauge "9-42" but came with "10-46" and syn uses 10-52...so technically I can't use any other gauge than 9-42??
    I don't have a Syn Custom, but I have never heard of a warranty like that in 35 years of buying guitars.

I mean, I can see not warranting a non-floyd nut if you put super heavy strings on it, but this seems odd. Do you have a pic of this?

Reactions: Shawn Lennie

Shawn Lennie

Free Bird Player
    Dec 12, 2021
    I don't have a Syn Custom, but I have never heard of a warranty like that in 35 years of buying guitars.

I mean, I can see not warranting a non-floyd nut if you put super heavy strings on it, but this seems odd. Do you have a pic of this?
    It just says as a general warranty rule for all Schechter guitars so that is why I was super confused.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-12-21-07-12-02-84_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
      Screenshot_2021-12-21-07-12-02-84_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
      40 KB · Views: 108

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Wow. That’s fucked up. For one, how the hell
    Would they know?? Second, 9-42 and 10-46 or both VERY “standard” string gauges and, as you said, Syn himself uses 10-52s.

For what it’s worth, if I was a 10-46 guy, I wouldn’t have hesitated to put 10s on it and laughed at them if they tried to imply that invalidated the warranty. I’d scream to the fucking heavens about it if I had to.

Shawn Lennie

Free Bird Player
    Dec 12, 2021
    Wow. That’s fucked up. For one, how the hell
    Would they know?? Second, 9-42 and 10-46 or both VERY “standard” string gauges and, as you said, Syn himself uses 10-52s.

For what it’s worth, if I was a 10-46 guy, I wouldn’t have hesitated to put 10s on it and laughed at them if they tried to imply that invalidated the warranty. I’d scream to the fucking heavens about it if I had to.
    It's my first Floyd guitar so I might wait to watch your video before changing the gauge. But I have always used 10-52 and never batted an eye....but then I read this so I didn't want anything flying off or breaking 😅

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Is the Floyd Rose so sensitive it may break from that slight of string gauge or is it maybe damage from over time?

Nope. They're not sensitive AT ALL. I have mashed the shit out of mine, strung them with everything from 9's to 12's (for B standard) and after 30 years they're still gold.

I just wanted to say that the live stream was fantastic! I watched it with Jack it was hilarious and awesome!
    You are actually really informative extremely informative in fact, I will hide the Boomer jokes I guess but only this time, you didn't sing and I'm actually quite disappointed in you lol! If you don't sing next time on your stream it's going to be 7 years bad luck Ed

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Everyone, thanks so much for being there and making me laugh. I hope you got some good info out of it.

The replay is already live on SynTV, so if you missed it, go check it out.

Post any follow up questions here and we’ll hit them next week!

There will also be some jamming next time too!

Shawn Lennie

Free Bird Player
    Dec 12, 2021
    So sad I missed this live after you answered my questions, dad duties called 😅 just watched the replay and thank you thank you! My next mission will be changing gauge of strings.
    Everyone, thanks so much for being there and making me laugh. I hope you got some good info out of it.

The replay is already live on SynTV, so if you missed it, go check it out.

Post any follow up questions here and we’ll hit them next week!

There will also be some jamming next time too!

• Love
    Reactions: Ed Seith