• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

SynTV - The Tone Zone - Learning your gear and creating a tone you love

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I'll be live on SynTV this Tuesday, February 8, at 4pm MST/AZT talking about guitar tone, getting to know your gear and what it can do, why is tone important, etc. We will workshop a blank preset on the AxeFX and build the start of a tone together as we go.

This is being demonstrated on an AxeFX, but the tools we will cover are useful regardless of your equipment - physical modelers, software modelers, tube or solid state amps, and hybrid goodies like the Boss Katana.

See you there!

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    You sure? I see it.

1644251332020.png

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Andrew Milner

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    andreilucianmoraru.com
    Really good one, especially for someone who has finally started understanding how to get good tones or at least tones that I like. I'm a single coil simp when it comes to clean tones, I feel humbucker ones sound way too...I don't even know how to describe it, at least on my humbuckers, but they feel way too intense. Yeah yeah, I could fiddle around with the tone knob on my guitar, but still.

Also, I somehow managed to get good distortion tones on my Squier without too much problem with the humming you mentioned.

Good stream!

Reactions: Ed Seith

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Really good one, especially for someone who has finally started understanding how to get good tones or at least tones that I like. I'm a single coil simp when it comes to clean tones, I feel humbucker ones sound way too...I don't even know how to describe it, at least on my humbuckers, but they feel way too intense. Yeah yeah, I could fiddle around with the tone knob on my guitar, but still.

Also, I somehow managed to get good distortion tones on my Squier without too much problem with the humming you mentioned.

Good stream!

My very favorite clean tones I get leave the bridge in humbucker and mix in a single coil middle or coil-tapped neck - best of both worlds! For the demo song in the beginning of the stream, that was how I started. Thanks for watching!

Reactions: Andrew Milner

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    Ok!!!! I finally managed to catch the stream!!!

Holy shit Captain.....this was really a good one! All the fun facts really made this a fun watch

I will see if I can apply those EQ tips to my tone on my boss katana.

On another note...would you mind explaining the presence settings for me again. I did not catch that clearly and always wondered what the hell presence did on my tone (im probably dead but I don't hear a difference)

Thanks Cap!!!!

Reactions: Alicia Willis

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Ok!!!! I finally managed to catch the stream!!!

Holy shit Captain.....this was really a good one! All the fun facts really made this a fun watch

I will see if I can apply those EQ tips to my tone on my boss katana.

On another note...would you mind explaining the presence settings for me again. I did not catch that clearly and always wondered what the hell presence did on my tone (im probably dead but I don't hear a difference)

Thanks Cap!!!!
    Yes ! I’m glad I’m not the only one ! I asked this and have been deep diving info because I have both on my amp and never knew what they did. I’m not Ed, but, from my personal research, the dumbed down version I understood was that presence deals with higher frequencies and resonance deals with Lowers. I’ve messed with those knobs forever and never noticed much difference when playing with distortion, but I was playing earlier (clean) and when I cranked up the resonance I could really hear the “bass” notes of what I was picking stand out and I was like…OMFG…lightbulb moment….I love this sound!! Lol

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Pretense, resonance and contour are all EQ boosts or cuts with a static “q.” Q is just a measurement of how wide the “hill” in the EQ curve is, with the presence, contour or resonance providing a control to move where the “peak” of the EQ curve is. Presence is usually mid-high to high frequencies. It may be a 3-4 DB boost at the desired frequency. It varies by manufacturer because it’s not rigidly defined.

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    Thank you very much Alicia and Ed.

Now I understand why I barely heard an audible difference! My amp only got a presence knob. The way Alicia describes resonance....damn really interested in that.

As far as tone building that reminds me
    Of my last acquisition

I made myself a Jazz tone. Very low bass and treble but mids all the way.

And I even additionally roll of my tone knob on my neck pickup

Its amazing how much you can influence your tone by just adjusting tone and volume. And if you got coil splitting or tapping even more!

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I'm still confused some with the compressor in my DAW, there's a lot of settings
    I want to make a Hip-Hop beat with heavy bass

Outside of the STRONG "stoner silver fox" vibes this guy throws out like crazy, he really knows his stuff and this video describes compression in great detail. He knows it because he wrote the plug-in.

Reactions: William B.