• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Synyster Custom S Action Preference?

Johnny Lin

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Hey everyone. I prefer a lower action. As low as possible, makes it really easy to play. But I'm wondering if some players take it a step further and intentionally set it up to be really low and just deal with a little fret buzz? I know it doesn't sound too bad through the amp and the sustain will suffer a bit, but it becomes even easier to play. Any veteran guitar players here dabble in this topic, is this worth the trade off?

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I used to experiment with that, but in the end I just didn't like it. It was too temperamental and keeping it right on that edge required frequent adjustment to the truss rod. Now I keep it as low as possible with no buzz and no dead spots, even if I bend 1.5 steps.

Lucas Weiman

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    I keep mine low, but always had it high enough so on large bends the other strings wouldn't buckle underneath my finger and accidentally ring out. If I were you I wouldn't sacrifice tone either, if you think you are getting fret buzz I would record a phrase with your "super low" setting and then play the same phrase with a higher action to where you know there is no buzz, then compare the 2 recordings and see if you can spot a difference.

Reactions: Ed Seith