• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Synyster Diamond Series Standard - Best A7X Amp Tones Settings [Boss Katana]

Joe Hemmert

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I just received a Synyster Gates Standard Schecter with single coil humbucker pickups, and I would like to play covers of A7X songs across all albums. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions to sound closer to their tones using a Boss Katana MKII amp.

Currently, I think I have figured out the closest City of Evil tone, sounds great for Bat Country, MIA, The Wicked End, etc. For this I am using the Lead amp type, Gain at .3, Bass at .3, Mid at .5, Treble at .75, Delay at .1, Reverb at .4.

I am not too savvy when it comes to messing with amp settings, so I was wondering if anyone had advice for getting a good tone to use for Nightmare, Waking the Fallen, and settings for The Stage. There have been some boss katana patches for A7X that I have tried, but none seemed to really capture their sound when using the syn standard. Any advice is appreciated!!

Reactions: joshhall963

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Well, if I gotta be honest, you could get sort of close to the tones of each of their album but you wouldn't quite have it spot on. You gotta remember that Syn for the most part used his custom guitars with either invader pickups or his custom ones. Adding to that that he used different tube amps for all of those record and you while the Boss Katana is a great amp, it still has some limitations!

Honestly my best advice to you would be to try to play along with the tracks and just forge a tone of your own that goes well with what you do and have fun playing!

I'll be honest with you, I have syn's guitar with his pickups and a hellwin tube amp, I can't get his tone quite right even when I have his equipment. Personal skills are also involved!

I know that I'm not answering the question directly but perhaps I can offer a new perspective. Perhaps some people who are a bit more savy with the boss katana or amps could help suggest you some approximate settings for it!

Upvote 0

Jeremy Healey

Hot Topic Tourer
    Legend+
    Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Newfoundland and Labrador
    The best way to get the tones he uses is to buy the cab packs from the Synner store! I got them and they sound pretty close coming out of my Marshall JV series. Never the same but it’s more than close enough for me!
    Only downside to that is you need something to load those cab packs onto! I use my FractalAudio AX8 Multi Effects pedal. It’s pretty pricey, but you can find used ones on Reverb.

Reactions: Joe Hemmert
    Upvote 0