• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Guitar Synyster Gates Custom-S Whammy bar loose

Lespaul0085

New Student
Feb 28, 2020
Dear community,

A year ago I got the model Synyster Gates Custom-S, which I am very satisfied with.
Some time ago, a little issue came up, though: the whammy bar has gotten loose. Even when the screw nut is tightened (the screw nut inside of the guitar), it gets loose again after a few times using the whammy bar-you can see it on this video:

Another thing is, that the springs of Floyd rose kind of squeak (which can be observed in the video).

Any of you having the same issue/ recommendation how to fix this?

Reactions: tysmith2394
Solution
I've not worked on that particular model of Floyd, but I've had this happen on my Ibanez Edge trems, which are Floyd-licensed. If you take off the back cover (not the electronics cover, but the one the springs and claw are in, right under the bridge and pickups, you should be able to spot, where the whammy pushes in, a nut holding that part to the flat plate of the Floyd.

You can just tighten that and solve the problem, but it might be a good idea to, on your next string change, pull the bridge, loosen the nut a little more, and put some Loctite on the threads before you tighten it. A socket wrench should be all you need to tighten, but a crescent wrench will work too, if you remove strings and springs and take the Floyd out of the...

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I've not worked on that particular model of Floyd, but I've had this happen on my Ibanez Edge trems, which are Floyd-licensed. If you take off the back cover (not the electronics cover, but the one the springs and claw are in, right under the bridge and pickups, you should be able to spot, where the whammy pushes in, a nut holding that part to the flat plate of the Floyd.

You can just tighten that and solve the problem, but it might be a good idea to, on your next string change, pull the bridge, loosen the nut a little more, and put some Loctite on the threads before you tighten it. A socket wrench should be all you need to tighten, but a crescent wrench will work too, if you remove strings and springs and take the Floyd out of the cavity.

Upvote 0
    Solution

Lespaul0085

New Student
    Feb 28, 2020

You can just tighten that and solve the problem, but it might be a good idea to, on your next string change, pull the bridge, loosen the nut a little more, and put some Loctite on the threads before you tighten it. A socket wrench should be all you need to tighten, but a crescent wrench will work too, if you remove strings and springs and take the Floyd out of the cavity.
    Thank you, will try it this way 👍

Reactions: Ed Seith
    Upvote 0

Dustin Charette

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Take the floyd rose backplate off and check these parts. They're your trem barrel and lock nuts that hold the bar in place.
    20220601_003242.jpg

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection