• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Synyster Gates Interview!

JakAngelescu

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Aug 12, 2022

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I suspect he's talking about folks like Tim and Scott from Polyphia. I feel the same way as a fellow old - super impressive playing, but the songs don't grab me at all and it's not interesting to me.

I cringe when he uses Ye in the same sentence as Elton John and The Beatles, though.

• Love
    Reactions: Chris Johnston

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    I saw this pop up on Google and I really thoroughly enjoyed reading it. To be honest, I found myself feeling the same way about modern guitar work.

Cheers for the share, Jak 👌

The modern Guitar thing is a really interesting topic for sure - I've had students want to learn Polyphia - GOAT - and almost always, their desire to learn it is rooted in the 'impressiveness' of the riff.

I guess it can be the same with Avenged Solos (Afterlife being one that comes to mind) But even then, I feel like (and I'm maybe biased) as technically impressive as Syn's solos are, they are really emotive/raw - Something I think that Modern bands lose in the squeaky clean style of playing. It's a satisfying style but I don't really feel anything when I listen to it 🤔

For me it's like looking at an exciting abstract painting vs one of those aesthetically pleasing futuristic looking pictures, but the audio version 😂

• Love
    Reactions: Ed Seith