• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Suggestion Tabs, Scales, Chords

juiceellish

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I just had a groundbreaking idea for this community!

There should be an extension on the website for a tab creator. Free to everybody, if possible. If it costs a toe and a finger, maybe could pay a small, one-time fee to have access to the feature (as well as the next two below). A tab creator that has everything you would see, at least for the most part, in a tab book by Hal-Leonard.

Similarly, there should be an extension that takes you to an interactable sheet of guitar fretboards where you can create scale shapes, or chord shapes, or anything to use for yourself to learn and study. Maybe even build up some exotic scales to share with others.

Finally, similar to the other two: an extension that takes you to an interactable sheet for guitar chords where you can create chord shapes, their inversions, their extensions, etc., and share them with the community.

I've attached examples of the second and third ideas, as everyone should know what a tab page looks like, but for visual sake of seeing my vision, and to even steal for yourself, these two sheets would, for example, be what the "Create a Scale" button would take you to. Likewise, "Create a Chord".

This would empower everybody in the community to further their ability to learn and study all sorts of things. I, myself, have drawn out 8 different scales on the scale sheet to learn and study. Again, I've attached an example for something I've drawn so that I could learn visually. And we should make it possible to be able to print what you created! A feature this sophisticated would SCREAM to the rest of the world how much BETTER the Syn Gates School is than anything else in the universe. I will do anything to get this ball rolling because this is next level shit! @Syn Gates @Brian Haner Sr. @alexj @Alicia Willis @Mike Creuzer

Attachments

• Create a Chord.png
      Create a Chord.png
      31.2 KB · Views: 166
    • Create a Scale.jpg
      Create a Scale.jpg
      152.2 KB · Views: 162
    • IMG_3685.jpg
      IMG_3685.jpg
      290.1 KB · Views: 141

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    I honestly really love this idea ! I can’t speak for cost or how much of a pain in the ass it would be to do from a tech standpoint, but this is something that would seriously help those just starting out and learning, as well as a great way to share ideas! Way back when we did the school collab, something like this would have been phenomenal!
    @Syn Gates @Jak Angelescu @Mike Creuzer y’all check this out.

Upvote 0

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    So, in principle if you can get somebody to have an embedding of soundslice for example this could work. At the same time I don't think a native build tab editor is easy and most probably means you need a third party application to do it (soundslice has a native tab editor) which costs a bunch of money adding to the cost of the website at the moment.

However what I do think would be nice is to have a library of must know scales and chords that are easily accessible which is a lot easier to code and implement I think.

Upvote 0
    J

Jak Angelescu

I agree with Ids. In theory this sounds amazing. But Soundslice and the upcoming app are expensive in an exorbitant amount. And I would advise Syn against doing anything that "people could just chip in a little to pay for" if we couldn't even meet our monthly $250 community cost donation goal. A majority of those donations came from the staff, even. You have something that could possibly cost anywhere from $10,000-$50,000 to operate at this scale and maybe a handful of people will use it. We have over 70,000 members but only roughly 500 are ever active. So unless those 500 students feel like chucking in $20-$40 each, it probably won't happen.

Also, there are websites that already do this. I think Oolimo is one. I think that's what it's called.

BUT - I don't ever say "no".

I think Ids had a good point about the library. That seems like a good probable solution. I'll be talking with Syn this week so I promise you I'll bring it up with the big man

Upvote 0

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    As far as creating tabs, a browser extension would ALWAYS be problematic (or UltimateGuitar would probably have one), but as free tab creator, TuxGuitar is good, and if you want something better with more features, there's GuitarPro for $70.

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    A page or sticky post with links to free or otherwise useful links for guitarists and bedroom producers would be a great idea.
    Once the new update is live and I've returned from my vacation, I will start a sticky thread and ask for contributions (in addition to putting my own in there). We can make that happen pretty easily.

Upvote 0