• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Take a break, have a meme

Yakun

Garage band Groupie
May 3, 2021
Bat Country
1620330816119.png

Synner Endless Summer Collection

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Even though I love the meme (and music theory) I've got to say music theory is like a road map not so much rules. You learn music theory to be artistically break the rules and the music theory bit is really like something you can fall back on when you get stuck(part of that was a picasso quote). For example, Not every chord in your chord progression have to be from the same chord family ( ask The Beatles, The Eagles or Avenged Sevenfold). You don't need key changes ( ask John Lennon or Bob Dylan) but if you do want key changes it comes in handy to know some theory to not get stuck on it forever. In short, don't worry about the music theory too much but still try to understand the basics of Harmony, melody and rhythm (like effectively what you'll use to write the song ), remember in the end your ear is a way better judge than some notes someone wrote down about what works and doesn't (I do advice everyone to learn theory tho because it definitely helps with communicating what you're doing but it's not a silver bullet to write good songs)

Completely wrong forum topic for this but ooh well :ROFLMAO:

Ashley Willis

Free Bird Player
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Georgia, USA
    Even though I love the meme (and music theory) I've got to say music theory is like a road map not so much rules. You learn music theory to be artistically break the rules and the music theory bit is really like something you can fall back on when you get stuck(part of that was a picasso quote). For example, Not every chord in your chord progression have to be from the same chord family ( ask The Beatles, The Eagles or Avenged Sevenfold). You don't need key changes ( ask John Lennon or Bob Dylan) but if you do want key changes it comes in handy to know some theory to not get stuck on it forever. In short, don't worry about the music theory too much but still try to understand the basics of Harmony, melody and rhythm (like effectively what you'll use to write the song ), remember in the end your ear is a way better judge than some notes someone wrote down about what works and doesn't (I do advice everyone to learn theory tho because it definitely helps with communicating what you're doing but it's not a silver bullet to write good songs)

Completely wrong forum topic for this but ooh well :ROFLMAO:
    I know enough to get by but when I pick up my guitar trying to be creative, it all goes to the land of missing socks and Jimmy Hoffa.

• Haha
    Reactions: Ed Seith and idssdi

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I know enough to get by but when I pick up my guitar trying to be creative, it all goes to the land of missing socks and Jimmy Hoffa.
    Yeah, the music theory and applying it Is Definitely a different horse all together. A big part for me is to only use it when it is appropriate and not get to caught up in it and it kinda works pretty well. My initial ideas always are from just jamming without thinking about theory, just whatever sounds good really 😅

Reactions: Ashley Willis